Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Normandy in June: Hotel de la Marine or Ferme de la Ranconniere?

Jan 18th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

We are planning a 10-day family trip to Normandy and Paris beginning June 9th. Air travel and Paris hotel are set; now we need to pick a base for the (first) Normandy portion of the trip. We will be picking up a car at CDG when we land at 0730.

Goals are for history buff husband and 16-year-old son to see the D-Day beaches; me to see Mont St. Michel and Bayeux tapestry and all of us to practice our French and enjoy the countryside.

Does anyone have experience with either of these properties, which have openings (triple rooms) on our dates? We can't decide - pros and cons to both. Prices quoted are identical. Both require half-board on those dates, so does one have better food?

I have already done the requisite tripadvisor and Fodors column searches, and we still can't decide. Help, please!!

Jan in Sacramento

Jan 18th, 2006, 10:17 AM

We stayed at the Ranconniere outside of Bayeux. It is very quite and the rooms are large. They have two properties and we stayed at both. When we stayed it did not require half-board but we did eat the breakfast every morning and it was quite good.

I would stay there again, very nice and very clean.
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Why not check IN Bayeux? Park at the hotel where we stayed and which is really nice and steps from the Cathedral and Tapistry and to local restaurants. Try the Hotel D'Argouges which you can email at <[email protected]> If you google you can probably get a website also. We loved the location.
Jan 18th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We did check availability in Bayeux - nothing was available on our dates, so that is why we are looking at these properties.
Jan 18th, 2006, 11:39 AM

I stayed at Hotel de la Marine 3 years ago and would do so again.

The room was larger than I expected for an inexpensive hotel. My room was too far to the side for a great view, but I could lay in bed and watch & listen to the waves.

Let them know if you will be eating in the hotel restaurant (which was excellent!), and they will reserve a table by the ocean for you. My meal with fruits de mer appetizer (shell fish sampler), sautéed fish, vegetable and desert came to less than 30 US$ including cider to drink.

I enjoyed walking along the shore, but there are also nearby tourist shops. Some of them sell Calvados, pommeau & cidre, and do tasting. The people were very friendly!

Keith
Jan 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Keith! My main hesitiation with Hotel de la Marine is that all their emails to me have been in French, and I'm leery of missing something. Dinner, however, is mandatory during our time period (June 10-14).

Jan
Jan 18th, 2006, 12:08 PM

My only confusion at de la Marine was with the parking. It seemed there was no legal way to drive to the place where the parking was located. I finally just held my head up and drove a short distance (apparently) the wrong way on a one way

http://www.mightymac.org/fr04.htm has my photos and original report on the hotel and Arromanches.

Just wished it hadn't been foggy while I was there!

Keith
Jan 18th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Have stayed at the Ferme de la Ranconniere, and it was fine - large room, large bathroom in the main building, a premium room as I recall. The food was good. The annex rooms look very attractive, but I would not want to be there because one of the pleasures of the place is the proximity of lodging and dining room. The "presence" at the desk is minimal, which could be a concern if you require quite a bit of assistance. We don't, so that was not a problem.
Jan 18th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your advice! Keith, your photos were very helpful. I completed a reservation at Ranconniere, since there is no cancellation penalty, and will ask them whether we are in the annex or main building. I hve also emailed de la Marine, since their reply, in French, was above my level of comprehension.

And no, we rarely seek front desk help, so that is not an issue.
Jan 18th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Have you checked the Château de la Bellefontaine in Bayeux?
Jan 18th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

St.Cirq - yes, that was one of the first places I checked, based on your previous postings. Unfortunately, they were full too.