Hotels on Mont St Michel??

Mar 17th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Hotels on Mont St Michel??

Should we stay on the Mont or on the coast with a view of the mont?

Any good hotels anyone has stayed at? (or ones to steer clear of??)

Thanks!
Mar 17th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Never stayed inside but I hear it is beautiful at night. The approach is magical.
Mar 17th, 2006, 07:53 PM

We were travelling by car, so we stayed on the mainland, with a view of the mont from our window.
It is magical being there in the evening but it is also a magical view across the causeway at night of the mont lit up in the perpetual hazy air.
The lights on the cathedral illuminate the sky with sort of a halo effect.
Mar 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM

I'm a firm believer in staying on the Mont to fully experience its multi-faceted charm. It is a totally different experience once all the tour buses and hordes have left. Sunset is great for phto ops; Early morning is wonderful-- you have the streets to yourself, basically, except for workers delivering sacks of mussels, wine, bread etc (more photo ops).

Have stayed/eaten several times at Le Mouton Blanc Hotel/restaurant. Sorry, info is not with me, but do a word search here and you should come up with specifics as there are several of us who have stayed at this establishment and commented on it) As is true w/many French hotels, it is best to fax them for reservations...telephone is either busy or non-responsive. It is a "reasonable" price (80-100euros?); our rooms have been larger than Paris standards with beamed ceilings and walls, though the decor is getting a little threadbare our last visit (2005); clean, tho. For a pricier experience you can stay/ea† at the famous La Mere Poularde. Some of the rooms are on the street side and some on the water side.

We arrive aound 4:00 when the place is still buzzing with tourists to get that "feel", then visit the abbey first thing in the morning which frees us by 11:00 to check out of the hotel while it is still somewhat cool and the crowds are just starting to build. (A lot of folks have recommended lunch further on at Cancale, famous for its oysters.)

Back to your original question... which only you can answer, do you want the VIEW (some places are more famous for the view--I think of Neuschanstein Castle myself) or the EXPERIENCE?

Have fun with whichever you choose!

Mar 17th, 2006, 08:54 PM

A no brainer-stay on the Mont. As others have said,when the tour buses leave it is magical.The smell of the salt air,mist rising off the salt flats and the quiet as you look out from the ramparts is all part of the experience of MSM.Le Mere Poularde to me is one tourist trap from the restaurant to the hotel-prices are really high. $22USD for an omelet? I think not. Our family stayed at the Auberge St. Pierre(it has a sister hotel next door that is called something like the Cheval Blanche?) which was decently priced and nice.Funny that you posed this question as my husband and I were talking about this just tonight and both of us agree that it was a wonderful evening for our family at the MONT.From a kid that first saw the picture of MSM in her 6th French book-it was a dream come true to stay the night there!
Mar 17th, 2006, 09:48 PM

We stayed aat Hotel Relais St. Michel - a big room with a splendid view to the Mont and we liked it. We do not regret that we did not stay on the Mont, it was enough for us to visit it during the day.
Mar 20th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Here is another vote for staying on the Mont.

You can listen to a photograph them making the omlets at Mere Poularde from the enterance, then have am excelent reasonably price meal at one of the other restaurants. I likeed my meal (and inexpensive room) at Mouton Blanc.

Keith