Mont St. Michel at night

Search

Mont St. Michel at night

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mont St. Michel at night

I am going to Mont St. Michel at the end of May. I am debating staying at Hotel de la digue (not on the Mount but with a view) or at Auberge Pierre on the mount. I understand from reading in this forum, that being at Mont St. Michel at night is magical. My question is this - can we stay inland and walk to the abbey in the evening and get the experience of the evening lights or will the walkway be under water? I'd like the best of both worlds, to take photos of Mont St. Michel at sunset from the land, but to be able to stroll around at night with the lights and music playing. Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 11:59 AM

I stayed at the Hotel de la Digue and was able to walk over, see the Sound and Light show (which I enjoyed very much) and walk back quite late, probably after midnight, with no problem. This was in August 2001.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 01:34 PM

I can't speak to specific names of the hotels... don't remember. But I did stay one night (with a tour group) in June, 2000 at a place about a mile away from the Mont St. Michel. I have the most beautiful picture of it taken at dusk. It is a total sillhoette of the Mont with an orange glow on the horizon and a partial reflection in the front lagoon. You can see a few lights from the village inside the Mont. It was a very pleasant/safe walk to and from, and I remember it was quite late, close to 10:00. I don't recall a light or music show, but maybe they are not held every day. <BR>
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help with this question! I am really looking forward to visiting MSM.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 04:01 PM

Mont St Michel isn't much of an island these days. That area has silted up pretty thoroughly. I don't think the water even gets to the base of the causeway, much less over it, in normal circumstances. I'm no expert on this, but the only pictures I've seen of MSM surrounded by water were pretty old.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice - reporting back on how it all worked out. We booked a room at Hotel de la Digue. We had a river view room, it had a balcony and from there we had a beautiful view of MSM. We walked (about 15-20 min) to MSM for dinner and did some exploring when the crowds were smaller. I am so glad we did not stay on the mount- you park the equivalent of about a couple of blocks and trying to negotiate my small rolling suitcase on cobblestones, uphill, in a crowd would not have been a fun time. Walking back to the hotel at 10:00 and seeing the lights get brighter on MSM was magical. Back at the hotel, we had a glass of wine while sitting on the balcony and enjoying the view was so wonderful.