Search

moving to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Matt

moving to Paris

I'm moving to Paris in three months.<BR>Any recommendation for an inexpensive place to stay the first month while I look for an apartment?

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Lola

matt,<BR>how did you get so lucky? I have no recommendations for inexpensive places to stay, so this will top your post, but DO tell how you get to go live in Paris!!?? Thanks and Good luck!!!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:09 PM
nancy

As apartments go I thought the rentals from rentparis.com were great. I rented from them for a month in May 2001, a studio in the 7th, and found them to be very responsive. Don't know what longer term apts would cost but mine was $1650 for a month and the best price I found. Perhaps you could get a better deal for a really long commitment.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 09:14 PM
xxx

Matt, sorry, but I've no recommendations. All I wanted to say is that you're one lucky person!!

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 04:47 AM
john

<BR>Matt, you're a lucky guy. My page at<BR>www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap22/living.htm has some tips that may be helpful.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 10:06 AM
CharlieB

Matt - I second Nancy's post. I would seriously consider renting a flat for the 1st month- much less hectic than hotel life. I have not rented in Paris, but have done so elsewhere in Europe. In addition to her suggestion there are plenty of other sites listing apartments for rent.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 03:57 AM
Wendy

Dear Matt,<BR><BR>I just moved to Paris last fall and there are a couple of inexpensive options for you... however, just FYI it can take months to find an apt...please let me know if I can answer any questions for you? It was a tough road, but I got there!<BR><BR>Les Citadines is a business type hotel that offers small studio/suites for people looking for an apt. or on an extended business trip with several locations in Paris.<BR><BR>The second option which worked for me was to use the FUSAC (French USA Connection) newsletter magazine that is used by locals and newcomers to Paris to post/browse through for ads regarding work and apt.s. It is free in Paris, WAS in NYC before they took it on line... but I can tell you that 90% of the international community in Paris depends on it to find language classes, furniture, jobs, etc...<BR><BR>I found a wonderful studio in the Marais for $800 a month (almost impossible in this pricy neighborhood) until I found a longer stay apt.<BR><BR>It was available by the week which made it much easier to move out when I needed to... <BR><BR>What month will you be arriving exactly? You could start looking now for a temp place in Fusac... try www.fusac.com<BR><BR>I am in FL until next month, but I'd be happy to send you a copy from Paris if you need one and also send out an APB with my friends to keep an eye out for you.<BR><BR>Best et bienvenue!<BR><BR>Wendy

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 05:58 AM
t

ttt

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Kate

Matt there is a website www.paris-anglo.com that has a lot of information about living in Paris. It is written by an expatriate. Also there is a book that you should check out called &quot;Culure Shock - France&quot;. It is geared toward someone living there and gives a lot of insight into day to day things. I know that this does not really answer your question but the website I believe may have some housing information.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 05:20 AM
ttt

topping

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:47 AM
sarah

Please read FRENCH OR FOE. I promise it will be invaluable. And read it asap. Before you go. Pronto!!!! It will make your whole stay from day one much better.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 01:24 PM
john

<BR>Another source for apartment postings on line is www.expatriates.com.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Frank

I lived in France before, but not in Paris. However, I know someone who lived in temporary quarters in some far away suburb near an RER line. It was much cheaper than living in Paris.

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a little late in my reply, but<BR>thanks everybody for your help, it's <BR>been very useful!<BR><BR>I've found a temporary accomodation through FUSAC, and I'm going to look for an apt while there.<BR><BR>Now the hard part: any tip on the best ways to look for an apt, what to ask etc.?
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who asked how I did it... <BR>I'm a EU citizen (though I've lived in the US for many years), so it wasn't that<BR>hard for me to find a job. Sorry I can't<BR>help you more!