Moving to Aberdeen

Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:25 PM
Meagan

Moving to Aberdeen

Hi All!
I've been accepted to Robert Gordon University for a postgrad progamme and will be moving to Aberdeen in the Fall. Is anyone familiar with the RGU Garthdee campus? If I'm looking for housing, what areas/neighbourhoods are nearby? What's the weather like (I live in Toronto, Canada)? Social scene?

Thanks!
Meagan

Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:05 PM
LJ

First of all, congratulations!

I can only help with weather: I am familiar with both TO and Aberdeen from that perspective having lived in both, though too long ago to be much help with other queries.

Aberdeen is damper, with more fog, greyer, less snow and less biting cold than Toronto. The average temperature in January is 3-5 degrees and July 14-16 degrees. Very little truly hot weather and little humidity because of the nearness of the sea bringing constant breezes.

Aberdeen has an average of 136 days of full sun per year versus TO at 160 (ish)...these are only averages. From my memory bank and some photos I dug up, looks like you can leave the heavy parka at home but bring a lined raincoat.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:25 PM
cbt

Darn, Sheila is OOT right now, hope this stays up until she sees it!

Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:32 PM
I

I have no updated info about Aberdeen, but you should read the American misanthrop and travel writer Paul Theroux´s book "Kingdom By the Sea" from the early 80ies.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:42 PM
sar

meagan--hi. I am from Toronto as well and am heading to Aberdeen this summer for a visit. I have a relative who I am staying with and I think she works for RGU --get in touch with me through the above address and I will see if I can hit her up for some good info.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:52 AM
Meagan

Hi Again!
Just wanted to thank those that have replied so far, and I also forgot to ask about recommended day/weekend trips within and outside of Scotland? As well, my boyfriend is planning on making the move with me if he can get a job - he's a vet - does anyone know if this is going to be a next-to-impossible task w/o an EU passport?
thanks again!

Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:40 AM
Martin

Meagan

Have a look at www.aspc.co.uk. It's an excellent website that'll give you an idea of what sort of accommodation is available and at what price.

I'd recommend areas around Great Western Road and Holburn Street, and the Mannofield, Ruthrieston and Ferryhill neighbourhoods. Plus anywhere in the 'West End'. They're all fairly close to the Garthdee campus and have good bus links.

If you have a car or bike then Cults is a good option.

Garthdee and Kincorth are also fairly close but i wouldn't recommend them.

Martin

Jan 24th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Sheila

Hmm... what knowledgeable answers, Meagan.

I live outside Aberdeen. Feel free to get in touch if there's anything I can do.

I know Garthdee quite well. It's a modern campus in a suburban location. What are you to be studying?

Martin's quite right on areas- 2 thoughts tho'. Lots of RGU students have bought and rented property in Garthdee since the University moved out there. It's not a bad place to be. And the town's not that big, so being based where other students are rather than round the campus is quite a good idea. Lots of places with blocks of flats where students are concentrated all over the twon centre.

have they offered you a University flat?

Weather is blech I'm afraid. Spend your summer weekends inland where you can get away from the haar.

DON'T read Theroux, unless you're prepared to believe it's nonsense. Nothing I've ever read about my adopted city has tee'd me off as much as Kingdom by the Sea.

What age is your boyfriend and is he Canadian? There's a scheme for Commonwealth people under 30. And if he's only coming to be with you he might quite easily get a work permit.

I have lots of tours that I've drafted for people over the years which I saved in Word. Drop me an email and I'll see what I can find for you.

Jan 24th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Meagan

Sheila - thanks for the response! I'm going to be working on my MSc in Information and Library Studies. My boyfriend is indeed Canadian, but unfortunately misses the age cut off as he will be 31 when we go. He's going to register with the RCVS (UK's governing body for vets) as soon as we arrive, but I have a feeling that the demand for vets in Aberdeen isn't going to be that great. Are there cities/towns within a 45/50 minute commute that he should look into? As for accomodations, the university only offers single, same-sex self-catering flats, and the rates don't seem to be that much cheaper than renting my own flat (esp. if I'm splitting the cost). I have looked at the website that Martin directed me to and it's a great starting point. I think getting a solicitor (does anyone know if this is costly?) when I'm ready to rent a place will be a good idea because I have no idea what some of these terms mean! What is a hob??

Jan 24th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Sheila

Meagan

A hob is a small hobbit

(that's a joke. It's the bit on a stove where the burners are- I think I've got the US terminology right

I have a very good friend who is a senior librarian at RGU, so if you need any of that sort of help, let me know.

I'm pretty sure that there will be demand for vets-they're always complaining they can't get qulaified people. My pal Kate is a vet who used to work near here. She doesn't any more but i suspect her finger is still on the pulse and I can drop her an email and ask her to find out. Or I could just ask our vet. However I think he'd be better to sort the visa/work permit stuff out before he goes-otherwise he'll be lying on the application and that's the last thing he should do.

FWIW, I'm a solicitor, and since tenants tend not to use one, I think I'd be real happy to guide you through the maze as a pal, or, if you prefer refer you to someone else.

If you take this to email, I'll post you a pack that will explain a lot of stuff.

Jan 25th, 2003, 04:12 AM
Sheila

Meagan, I just found another wrinkle in the immigration law. I don't suppose your boyfriend has a British born grand parent. He can come in and work if he has.

Jan 27th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Ha! A small hobbit, eh? Thanks for the laugh Sheila, very apropos considering I'm re-reading The Hobbit at the moment! Anyway, my boyfriend does not have a British born grandparent, unfortunately (I do, but I guess it's a moot point since I'm going as a student and will have a student visa anyway). By the way, you offered some further information if I emailed you, but the website doesn't post email addresses anymore (i'm guessing this has something to do with registering before posting?), so if you would please email me at [email protected], I'd love to pick your brain a little (okay, a lot) more...

Thanks so much!
meagan
Jan 27th, 2003, 06:41 AM

Woops. The email addresses were there this morning.

It's [email protected].

I'll get back to you.
Jan 27th, 2003, 08:21 AM

Hi Meagan

I used to live in Aberdeen when I was at Uni there. I would avoid staying near the Garthdee area and stay somewhere with good bus links to the campus. Popular student areas are King Street, George Street, Holburn street, Rosemount. I used to live in Union Grove, off Holburn Streeet - close enough to walk to shops, bars, gym etc but also excellent bus services to Garthdee. I did know a few other post grads who lived in Devonshire Road and Queens Road - generally pricier for rental but much quieter and more upmarket than King Street/George Street.
The weather is generally pretty cold and wet - so a word of advice would be to stay in a flat with gas central heating which is cheaper than electric or white meter heating.
Aberdeen is a very small and a bit backward in comparison with other UK cities place but there is a good student scene in Aberdeen because of the 2 Universities, check out the Lemon Tree for gigs. There are studenty pubs close to University campuses and the trendier, dressier bars tend to be around Union Street and Justice Mill Lane.
Good luck with your course and enjoy your stay.

Poochy