Spike

London: Best Fish & Chips

What are your votes?

Jan 26th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Snoozer

The Seashell of Lisson Grove.

Jan 26th, 2003, 07:51 PM
bob

sea shells is our favorite...its not cheap but the fish practically leaps off the plate at you it is so fresh....not fancy and not in the most attractive neighborhood but well worth you time...they have another shop other than leesom grove, but i forget its address at the mement....east end i think..go and enjoy

Jan 27th, 2003, 02:56 AM
Dave

I don't know how long ago it was posted...but there was a thread regarding the same topic on which Ben Haines suggested a great F&C shop near the Victoria Coach Station....
I was in London in November 02, went there and thought it was well worth the effort...
Probably worth doing a search to see if you can find the thread...OTOH: Seashell is very, very good as well.
Best wishes.

Jan 27th, 2003, 04:57 AM
Geoff Hamer

The 'Friar's Delight' in Theobalds Road near Holborn tube station. It's very basic and run by Italians, but the fish and chips are close to perfection. You can't miss it because there's always a row of taxis parked outside - the taxi drivers obviously know where to go.

Jan 27th, 2003, 05:14 AM
AnnaC

I second the Friar's Delight. It's the one thing I'll miss when I leave my current job (just half a block from this place!)

It's always full at lunch times, so you'd need to get there early if you're going then. It's a real traditional chippy in the heart of London.

Jan 27th, 2003, 05:40 AM

Just checking to see if posting is working yet. I've tried this one twice and my post disappears into thin air.
Jan 27th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Ah, maybe it is working now.
I'm glad to see that Geale's isn't mentioned here. I've gone there twice and found the service horrible, the chips cold and soggy, and the fish mediocre at best. We returned thinking it was a fluke because everybody raves about it. The second time the service was a bit better, but nothing else was.
Jan 27th, 2003, 06:09 AM

There is a place called something like 'Rock and Sole' in Covent Garden which although very Central provides great British F&Cs in authentic surroundings, although I expect the owners are Italian!
Ian
Jan 27th, 2003, 08:23 AM

I should have known! Its the 'Rock and Sole Plaice' and is on the web here:
http://www.rockandsoleplaice.com/
Happy eating!