Mother & Daughter in London

Jan 8th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Mother & Daughter in London

My daughters and I will be going to London for one week in March 2013. They are both 20 years old. We are looking for a place to stay. I would like something in the middle of London where it will be easy to get around to the tube, shopping, sights, pubs, etc. also, in a safe area. Would like to keep lodging to $1,800 or less for the week. Hotel or rentals are both fine. We will not be renting a car, so we will be dependent on public trasportation.

I would also like to know places to see outside the city, for day trips. We like castles, pretty countrysides, and historic places. We only have 6 full days in London and are trying to put together our itinerary.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Jan 8th, 2013, 05:31 PM

only time for one quick comment (a Fodorite is on Jeopardy right now) $1800/£1120 is £160 per night. Doable for a triple but not all that generous.

A flat would be better - but it is getting pretty late to be booking just two months out
Jan 9th, 2013, 12:26 AM

surf a bit on this site on "London" these questions are asked every day. Janisj is dead right you need a flat with that budget. You also need to look out for "2 for 1 deals"
Jan 9th, 2013, 01:02 AM

or you could look at the YHA, Premier Inns or Travel Lodges
Jan 9th, 2013, 01:58 AM

Look up the "London walks" website for great themed walks, which give you a good insight into London's landmarks and history. Take a boat down the Thames to Greenwich. Two excellent daytrips are Hampton Court Palace or Hatfield House - both easy trainrides from central London, and packed with history, beautiful gardens and architecture.
Jan 9th, 2013, 09:18 AM

www.londontown.com and yes most can be found on this site - I have asked most of it!
you will love it!!
Jan 9th, 2013, 09:51 AM

google london tool kit - alot of practical information. London Walks are good for in the city - they also have some daytrips out and about. And follow the links on London tool kit for the 2 - 4 - 1 deals that you can get using a tube card purchased at train stations.
Jan 9th, 2013, 11:41 AM

No need to follow links -here is the Days Out 2for1 website

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/

Here are some flats that have availability during March - the 1bdrms are well below your budget and the 2-bdrms just w/i.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hamlet_uk/
Jan 11th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! Very helpful. : )
Jan 13th, 2013, 04:07 PM

You mention you like historic places - the usual suspects are the Tower, Hampton Court, Windsor etc.. but there are plenty of other interesting places easily within reach (most by tube) that many tourists aren't aware of - this list will be helpful: http://londonunveiled.com/tag/stately-home/ - places like Forty Hall and Strawberry Hill are well worth a visit. They all make good day trips.