First time traveler to London in March

Feb 13th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

First time traveler to London in March

Hi everyone,

Please help, my sister and I will be traveling to London for the first time. What's the weather like that time of year? Still undecided as where to stay...(only 4 weeks to go! Desperate!) would really like Notting Hill but don't know much about the neighborhood only that it looks good on film. Any suggestions??? Thanks.
Feb 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM
nbujic

you can check the weather on the Net.
London is a huge and expensive city ; where you stay may depend on your interest ( theater, galleries, museums, shopping etc) and, most of all, your budget.

Feb 13th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

I am not rushing to get on the London Eye if you know what I mean. Able to spend 200 a night...any safe hotels for that price? Read so much about London (historical) would like to visit Westminster Abbey (I heard Queen Elizabeth I is buried there)How far is Hampton Court Palace? Would love to visit all the old London haunts. History lover...thank you for any and all you tips!
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:13 PM

200 what? $US200 or £200, or 200 something else??

Then - click on "DESTINATIONS" above and read the overview on here about London.

" am not rushing to get on the London Eye if you know what I mean." - not really. Why not the Eye - are heights an issue, the cost, or whet?

Hampton Court Palace is in a suburb of London - you take the train from Waterloo station.
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:15 PM

We did the "London Eye" and although it seemed touristy-it was really pretty cool and gave a great view of the city-I personally would recommend it.
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

200USD (sorry for the mix up)
London Eye - Well it's just that it's not the reason I'm going to London. The long lines I've heard about are not appealing either. Although I will consider it once I'm there.....just very exited to visit historical sites not modern ones.
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:25 PM

long linbes at the Eye?? Not so you'd notice. Besides, the tickets are timed so you just show up a few minutes before your "flight"

$200 is approx £102 so not a fortune in London. I HIGHLY recommend you use Priceline, where you can get a 4 star property for $100 or less.
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:28 PM

You sound so excited and that's really sweet! Have a great time.

Weather could be absolutely anything so check just before you come here. But do make sure you have a decent coat as March is often cold/windy.
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM

here is an excellent guide to Medieval & Tudor London by Sarah Kettler and Carole Trimble, if you're interested in that period.

Two hundred dollars = about 100 GBP. Not much for an expensive city like London, but decent places ca still be found. How about using priceline?

The London Museum is suberb for an historical look at London from its beginings to current times.

The Tower of London & Hampton Court Palace.

The list is almost endless.
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:37 PM

The weather could be anything, really.

We visited London for the first time in early March last year. The weather was freezing at times and mostly rainy, but we were prepared with layers and had a fantastic time. We had a day or two of beautiful sunshine and cool temps. I will be back in London (for a third visit) this March!

A nice knee length wool coat and umbrella or a raincoat with zip in lining (and umbrella) would be good, along with some sweaters. It's quite warm indoors, so the layers will help.

There are some history related ideas on this current thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34945390
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:42 PM

If I were going to London this year, I would use Priceline. Prices are just so high, and if you are converting US dollars, well... not much for your money.

I am not one who says use Priceline in all European cities. But I've done a lot of research on their London offerings, and I think it is a fine choice to use PL.

Read as much or all of biddingfortravel.com before you place any bids. Study the PL zones on their site, and do be very very careful. No turning back once your bid has been accepted, so no mistakes.

They do offer insurance in case of the same sort of things that regular travel insurance covers.

I think you would benefit so much by reading a good guide book right now.

Also, with only 4 weeks to go, it is a fairly good time frame to try PL.
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM
nbujic

we stayed in Soho ( not at a hotel, so I cannot help) and it was very easy to walk to the British Museum theaters, and the Tate and Portrait galleries.
We did not visit the Eye and never will!

Feb 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM

I'm the odd one out who thought the Eye was a bit of a yawn. How long will you be in London? Unless you're set on renting a hotel room, you could certainly find a flat to rent within your budget in nice areas.
Feb 14th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Hi, London in March - welcome to the greatest city , especially if you love history. Just bring an umbrella, it always rains in March .
Lots and lots to recommend . NottingHill is a great area, full of chitzy fashionable shops and Portobello market is great on a Saturday. Its an upmarket area though so expect high prices for accomodation and restaurants. Though you should do ok on £200 a night for a room. Not sure about 200$.Historically the City of London, the square mile is fascinating especially if you know where to go. Check out the alleys off Cornhill where you can see historical shops as if you were in Victorian Britain. Check out Leadenhall market also to give you an atmospherice London market. Walk along the thames and check out The Globe theatre , do the tour here , its fascinating. I like the Eye and its right near the Globe so worth a detour.
There is so much really. A good book to read is Peter Ackroyd, London The Biography - goes chronilogically though the history of London.
Hampton court is at least 45 minutes away by train and there is so much to do in London that you may want to stay in the center. You could take a historical walking tour of the city , good tours I have taken are the original London walks http://www.walks.com/ - the guides really know their facts and there is a walk everyday. For more independent history finding and walking look at www.talkingtrip.com , there walks allow you to discover an area of London at your own pace whilst learning about the history.
Feel free to ask any more questions. As you can tell I love talking about my home town
Feb 14th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

I'll only be in London a week since we will be traveling to France and Italy also.Although I must admit, London is the town I'm very exited about. Thank you Historytraveler & Bakerred for your advice. I will definetly check out Cornhill and I have The Globe Theatre, Hampton Court Palace, The Tower of London in my intenarary...(sigh) to see Elizabeth's London is fascinating to me (Elizabeth I). Well, I did not honestly know how expensive everything would be so I've rearranged the budget/funds for London & so I will be looking at hotels for 200GBP now...I am currently looking at londontown.com for accomadations...anyone used them before? How about a B&B instead of chain hotel?
Feb 14th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Geez! I mispelled everything! Sorry!
Feb 14th, 2007, 07:06 AM

You might look at laterooms.com -- and www.tripadvisor.com for travelers' reviews. There are plenty of non-chain hotels. You just need to do the research.

I second the recommendation of London walks. Lots of choice and knowledgeable tour guides.