most scenic drive from Munich to Reutte

Jun 29th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

most scenic drive from Munich to Reutte

Can anyone offer advice on what would be the most scenic route to drive from Munich to Reutte? We will leave Munich around 1pm and want to spend the afternoon enjoying a beautiful drive in the Alps, possibly stopping to take a short walk/hike along the way. (So we don't mind going way out of the way for a nicer drive). We will be staying in Reutte that night, hopefully arriving around 6pm. Thanks in advance for any help!
Jun 29th, 2007, 11:54 AM

We did the reverse drive and took Hwy 17 for much of the way, cutting over to Munich on the autobahn once we got closer. 17 is part of the Romantic road, and is fairly picturesque, esspecially as you get toward the alps.

Coming out of Munich, if you headed pretty much straight south, you can go past the lake there - I think it is called the Scharnbergersee. Then you could cut over to Hwy 17 and get to Reutte by way of Fussen - this route will take you past the Ludwig castles, which are neat to see from the distance as you come along the road. Another option would be to go through Oberamergau and then drive to Reutte on the Austrian side - the road between the two towns is really pretty and you go past a nice little lake called the Plansee.
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:09 PM

This route will not touch the major sights like Neuschwanstein castle or Wieskirche that you problably have found already your map:

Leave Munich to the South on Autobahn 95 heading for Garmisch, take spur 952 to Starnberg, and follow the shoreline of Lake Starnberg on either side.
Take local road heading towards Penzberg and a bit after Penzberg you will meet Hwy 11.
Alternative: Stay on Autobahn 95 to exit #8 (Penzberg), and head for Penzberg and Hwy 11 from there.
Follow Hwy 11 south: Benediktbeuern monastery, Kochel, Walchensee (cable car to Herzogstand mountain, lakeside restaurants) are next. Later you will come to the intersection with Hwy 2 which you will have to follow west, later north.
Alternative: stay on Hwy 2 south for another 8 km to see Mittenwald, then return.
Following Hwy 2 north, you will pass Garmisch, and can decide if you want to visit the Partnachklamm.
From Garmisch continue on Hwy 2 north for a few miles until you turn west on Hwy 23 to see Ettal abbey, optional visit to Oberammergau, but eventually go to Linderhof castle.
Either visit the castle, or continue straight on that local road that took you to Linderhof. The signs may already say Reutte at that point.
The following 20 km to Reutte are quite lonesome and a bit narrow, but you'll get pretty views of the Alps and pass two nice lakes. If you ever wondered where BMW takes the promotional pictures of their cars on an alpine road: You're driving on it ;-)

As you can imagine, there are numerous alterations of the route thinkable.
One lesser-known sight in that area is the Bavarian Open Air museum in Glentleiten (near, west of Kochel), showing a variety of historic, mostly rural Bavarian buildings:
http://www.glentleiten.de/Page10569/...entleiten.html
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the advice. I just wanted to clarify that since we are staying in Reutte, we have plans to see the castles (Linderhof, Neuschwantstein, Hohenschangau) and Wieskirche later. On the day of the drive from Munich, we just wanted to focus on beautiful mountain scenery, enjoying nature, etc.

These suggestions are helpful, thanks!
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM

If you go to google and type in 'Munich to Oberammergau to Fussen Germany" then click on maps you will get a nice drive.
Jun 30th, 2007, 06:55 AM

I think you will like this route. We've been on almost all the roads shown. You can see the map here and I've included some links for info on the towns. select the top map.
http://www.thirdmansystems.com/vacation/maps/maps.htm

Ken
Jun 30th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Great collections of scenic routes - even for a local very useful!
Sometimes it still blows me away that almost everything is already available on some website.

Just two tiny remarks re. the Munich-Reutte routing on the website that Norrisken posted:

The 15km between Lake Sylvenstein and Highway 11 are a toll road. I don't remember exactly how much I paid last time, but I think it was 3-5 Euro.

And when in Austria, stay away from the motorways unless you have a toll sticker (vignette). But you should not need that as all your other day trips seem to take you up north into Germany from Reutte.
Jun 30th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Wow! I will be renting a car in Kempten and keeping it for three days in the Fuessen area (staying nights in Reutte). I have never driven overseas. I have one Michelin map that I bought from Barnes & Nobles bookstore. How do I find a map of the area showing all the smaller roads? Do I have to wait until I am there in Germany to pick this up from the car rental agency? I see people putting in different links for maps, should I plug in my towns and see what they come up with? We will be there in that area from 12.7-15.7. Thanks ahead of time for your help!
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Unless you need a real map for your planning, I'd suggest you try out
www.viamichelin.com

When in Kempten you can pick up a map at any gas station or bookstore in town. Scale should be 1:300,000 or better to cover also the many small roads here.
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone very much!! These all look like fabulous ideas--now my only problem is to narrow down which one to use...

P.S. I have heard that on weekends A8 heading out of Munich is like a parking lot. We'll be driving on a Sunday afternoon. If we headed that way, would you anticipate problems?
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:46 AM

True. A8 East can become a "parking lot" as early as Friday 2pm (so much for German working ethics, huh )

Traffic is usually a mess at the Munich-Brunnthal junction where the eastern section of loop freeway A99 meets A8 east. And on the first 10-20 km on A8 from there.

Hwy 13 parallels A8 for most of the leg you may want to travel and will be less congested. It's just a bit hard to find Hwy 13 from downtown Munich as most signs will try to guide you to the Autobahn A8. Most signs in Munich will say "Salzburg".
But you can catch Hwy 13 at exit #5 on A99 if the Autobahn is too congested.