Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it worthwhile to drive towards Hohenschwangau/Fussen via the German Alpine Road (Deutsche Alpenstrasse)?

Is it worthwhile to drive towards Hohenschwangau/Fussen via the German Alpine Road (Deutsche Alpenstrasse)?

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read with interest earlier postings regarding scenic drive in the south bavaria and was intrigued with the idea of bavarian alps.

When checking direction on viamichelin, journey from Munich to Hohenschwangau proposes a different route.

Am wondering... is it do-able and more importantly more rewarding to drive south from Munich to Oberau and joining the Deutsche Alpenstrasse from there towards Hohenschwangau?

I've checked on Multimap... journey will take about 30-45 minutes longer. I hope to visit the two castles in the area and then sleep in Fussen.

Appreciate the views of those who have been there.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 09:08 AM

I wasn't THAT impressed with that drive. I think your 30-45 minutes would be better spent with a visit at the famous Wieskirche, which is just off the main route from Munich.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 09:09 AM

The directions are not exact but think of Munich as Northeast of Fussen. The alps run more or less East-West and are about 50-80 miles South of Munich.

You can take a more direct route to Fussen but the route I prefer for the great scenery and great stops along the way is toward Garmish on the Autobahn from Munich. Then you cut off to go by Ettal Monastary, Linderhof, Oberammergau and Wiesekirche on the way to Fussen. You will be on the edge of the alps from the time you leave the autobahn.

Try plugging in the destination then clicking on the scenic route on ViaMichelin to see what you get.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TuckH and AisleSeat.

I had that very route in mind AisleSeat. I realise that the Bavarian Alps are not as breathtaking as the Austrian, but since I'm already there, might as well.

Will want to visit Wieskirsche as well. Is that in Wies? That's en route...
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Wies is not en route of the "Alpenstrasse".

As I recall it, that stretch of the Alpine Road was flat, wooded and without views to speak of. Not very memorable...
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 06:23 AM

No matter which route you will take, Wieskirche is en route. And yes, it is in Wies.

Viamichelin suggests A96/B17, which is the fastest (and a rather uneventful) drive. Signs for Wieskirche will be in Steingaden (5km detour one way).

Your alternative (A95 to Oberau, B23, connecting State Rte from B23 to B17, B17) offers many sights along the road: Linderhof castle (9km detour one way, bit time-consuming if you also want to see Hohenschwangau/Neuschwanstein), Ettal monastery (can be made a quick visit in 15min), Oberammergau, and Wieskirche.
This route is longer, but is indeed part of the German Alpine Road from Oberau to Hohenschwangau.

Another option could be to take A95 to exit #10 (Murnau/Kochel), follow directions for Murnau, visit Murnau, take State Rte via Bad Kohlgrub until you get on B23 in Saulgrub.
Murnau is a bit in the shadow of places like Garmisch or Oberammergau, but truly a gem.
http://tinyurl.com/44a9ot
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Brilliant!!

i've done my road planning on viamichelin too in addition to having my garmin with me... just in case.

thanks again!