driving from Konstanz to Munich

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving from Konstanz to Munich

Does anyone know how long it takes to drive from Konstanz to Munich? What about from Meersburg to Munich?
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM

about four hours on the autoroute - for a much more scenic and longer route timewise, hop on the Bavarian Alpine Strasse, a marked road meandering along the foothills of the Alps via Fussen and Garmisch i believe.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 07:58 PM

The difference between Konstanz and MUC and Meersburg and MUC is really only the time it takes to take the car ferry from Konstanz - Staad to Meersburg, about 45 minutes incl. getting to the ferry terminal.

If you have the time, take this scenic route: Meersburg - Lindau (43km) Drive onto the island part of Lindau for a short visit of harbor and old town.

Then take the A-96 autobahn to exit 3 (about 5km); there head on the B-308 to Oberstaufen, Immenstadt, Hindelang (70km). Part of this route is Deutsche Alpenstrasse (the alpine route Palegue Bob is talking about)

From Hindelang head to the Oberjoch and on the Austrian B-199 to Tannheim - Weissenbach am Lech. From there take the B-194 to Reutte and follow the signs to Fuessen. (Hindelang - Fuessen about 52km)

Do an exterior look-see of the Neuschwanstein castle, and then head north on the German B-17 to Steingaden (23km) In S. watch for the signs to Wieskirche (it's in the middel of the small town, turning to the right)

Visit the Wieskirche (beautiful baroque abbey, located in the maedows, with mountains as background),and continue on the main highway east to the B-23, at the Echelsbacher Bruecke (bridge) (about 30km from Steingaden, incl. the Wieskirche detour from the Steingaden - Echelsbacher Br. road). From there head south on the B- 23 to Saulgrub (6km) and follow the signs to Murnau (left turn off the B-23; 14km from the turnoff to Murnau). There pick up the Autobahn A-95 to Munich.

If you want to extend the trip, from Fuessen, take the Austrian B-314 south to Leermoos, and then follow the Austrian B-187/German B-23 to Garmnisch Partenkirchen. This route takes you alongside the Zugspitze massif, quite scenic.

From Garmisch follow the signs to the Munich ( Muenchen) Autobahn A-95)

From Fuessen to Leermoos - Garmisch it it is about 75km.

From Garmisch to Munich it is 90km, from Murnau it is about 65km.

As for travel time, I figure an average of 60km/h on the B - roads, 90-100km/h on the autobahns. Others will disagree with me, but I try to enjoy the countryside. I have driven all of the suggested routes many times.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much.

PalenqueBob--good to know how long the quickest route will take.

treplow--thanks so much for all the details. I will print the instructions and bring them with us!