COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

More train advice

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

More train advice

I am travel to several countries on a eurail select pass. Is it better and cheaper to do my reservations now from raileurope or is it less expensive to do them when I'm in europe?
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 07:33 AM
rex

What itinerary has you traveling sdo much that you will benefit from a rail pass? Have you done an analysis on the railsaver.com website?

Cheaper to make the reservations there. "Easier"? your mileage may vary...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

It was cheaper buy far to buy the railpass. But I'm just not sure when to make the reservations. From the States or once I'm in europe. Help
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:28 AM
ira

Hi G,

Reservations will cost less in Europe than ordering them from RailEurope in the US.

You will also save S&H charges.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I appreciate the advice
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:27 PM

the only reservations that really seem hard to get in Europe for passholders are those on some TGV lines in France - if you were landing in Paris and the next day or so planning on taking a TGV to Avignon and point south you may well not be able to get a passholder fare reservation (3 euros) as SNCF has instituted a limit on the number of railpass reservations on certain routes that they can sell tickets on at higher price. I definitely know this to be the case. I know folks who were told in France no with a railpass but they would sell them a full fare ticket on the same train. So like Ira says you're better off doing reservations in Europe as it's a lot cheaper and usually no hassle. Some sleeper trains also pose problems in busier times - like Milan to Barcelona or France to Spain on certain dates. If reserving in US i always advise to eschew RailEurope and do it thru BETS (800-441-2387) because in my long experience with them they are experts at it and with passes as well and will answer all your questions. Raileurope i believe charges $25 extra now to place an order by phone and then the person may or may not be all that familiar with European train nuts and bolts. But again, except in a few cases i wouldn't worry about it. Nearly no trains in Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, German or Austria require reservations. Many in other countries do. When you get your pass be sure to get the Eurail Timetable that agents are supposed to send free with the pass (some don't because of increased mailing fees) and this timetable will duly note all trains that require reservations before boarding by denoting them with an R in a box in front of the schedule. A few trains also require supplements for pass holders - Thalys Paris-Brussels-amsteram-Cologne; Eurostar and ICPlus trains in Italy; AVE in Spain and these supplements can cost $10-20 often - more in first class where a meal may be included - you can save money of course by riding in 2nd class on these trains at cheaper rates than in 1st class with your first class pass (assuming you are over 25 and thus not eligible for the 2nd class Eurail Select pass for those under 26.