EasyJet flying experience today August 27, 2006

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in case this is helpful, I thought I would post my experience today flying from Glasgow to Berlin.

My smallish carry-on duffle bag was deemed too large, so I took my handbag and jacket out, at which point it collapsed to the desired size. But the check-in agent said I was not allowed to take both a handbag and a carry-on. I could swear I read something different just yesterday at the EasyJet site, that you were allowed both a small carry-on and a handbag, but c´est la vie. I had also read I would be charged 5 pounds for an extra piece of checked luggage, but she did not charge me for it.

Security went reasonably well, although the lineup looked long. You had to take out your electronic objects and place them in a tray separately from the rest of your carry-on luggage. You had to remove your shoes for X-rays. Of course no gels or liquids were allowed. I noticed there was a bin where people had thrown forbidden objects. Although the sign specifically said no lighters, many lighters were placed in the bin, along with pens. However, I did not throw my pen in, and they did not take it away from me.

I was quite stupid in buying bottled water prior to the security checkpoint. Of course we could not drink it all before we went through, so had to toss it.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Here in the states, we have been required to remove our shoes since 9/11
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 09:46 PM

<i>Here in the states, we have been required to remove our shoes since 9/11</i>

Not in a number of airports that I'd been through (prior to the most recent liquids scare).

I've seen those airports where removing shoes was mandatory, some where it was not, and some where it was &quot;suggested&quot;.

Suggested seemed to vary in meaning between &quot;it'll save a wanding if they set off the detector, so you may want to save yourself the trouble&quot; to &quot;I'm being polite in saying the word suggested, but I'm going to search you head to toe if you don't read between the lines here&quot;.

Anyway, the point being that I hadn't seen any consistant national policy re: shoes, since 9/11.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Neopolitan

There's an easy way for me to figure out if I have to take my shoes off or not in a US airport. If I take them off before being asked, then it will be an airport where you don't have to take them off. If I leave them on until they're ready for me to go through the scanner, then that's an airport where I'll have to take them off. And in Las Vegas this last week, I took them off because I saw people coming out the other end and taking their shoes off the belt. But I had to put them back on until I had gone through the &quot;puffer&quot; then take them off. Go figure.

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:17 PM

&lt;&lt;Anyway, the point being that I hadn't seen any consistant national policy re: shoes, since 9/11. &gt;&gt;

This is absolutely for sure. Everything turns on the staff where you board.

Last May, in Paris, I ran into two ladies from Scotland who declared they were lucky to board &quot;SleezyJet&quot; with their bloomers.

At the Manchester, NH airport near our home, they actually have a &quot;shoe machine&quot; in the public area ahead of security, where you can &quot;test&quot; your shoes. So, I tossed all my favorites in a huge bag and went there to &quot;test&quot; them.

Having determined those which &quot;passed&quot; (and this particular airport could not be more particular - they have a &quot;recovery&quot; area just beyond security...), these are what I wear when traveling. Sometimes I'm ordered to remove them (at various airports), sometimes I'm not.

These days, you have to be prepared for every imaginable contingency.

For sure, there are no &quot;consistent&quot; policies. Everything turns on the airport, the staff on duty, your demeanor.

Recently, I have not been charged for overweight bags, was allowed to check an extra bag no charge, was permitted to carry a lighter in my tote on board (inadvertently left an Eiffel Tower souvenir lighter in my tote and the agent did not wish to deprive me of it, even though I wouldn't have minded).

Most curious was at CDG when I &quot;turned in&quot; my BIC lighter at security, and the gent just handed it right back.

As for &quot;both a handbag and a carry-on&quot;, it's most probably the mood of the inspector and how you're perceived. No rythme or reason...

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:32 AM

I would agree that the level of enforcement varies from airport to airport just as the settings (sensitivity) on the metal detectors seem to.

And here in the US we have had more than one occasion when a film crew was able to get out onto the tarmac for their &quot;film at eleven&quot; adventures.

What happens to security when no plots are currently &quot;uncovered&quot; seems to be anyone's guess.

Does anyone remember the whine from the airlines shorly after 9/11 that &quot;the public wouldn't stand for&quot; everyone being individually wanded or screened?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

I should also mention that EasyJet has reverted to opening check-in desks two hours in advance (for a brief period, it was 3 hours). Although we lined up at 7:10 AM, and check-in had opened at 6:50 for a 8:50 AM flight, we had numbers 80 and 81, which put us in the C boarding group. Not that it made any difference, as we both got good aisle seats.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM

My recollection is that their was no shoe removal policy immediately after 9/11, although we were advised to remove our shoes if they had a metal shank, which would set off the alarm.

A while after the incident with a terrorist attempting to light fuses with explosives in his shoes, a shoe removal policy was issued (naturally, they never release the actual policy), which was widely believed to require removal of shoes with soles an inch or more thick; naturally, there was no actual way to measure the soles, so the searchers just guessed, and I think this is what led to apparently varying policies. Now, of course, TSA has announced that shoe removal is required, which is probably a more efficient policy to get us all through the lines, particularly those of us who were previously held up because some sea lawyer had to argue with the searcher about whether he had to remove his shoes.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:50 PM

http://tinyurl.com/raalf are the current rules - it's ONE bag and it's not Easyjet imposing these rules, it's the UK government so it applies to all flights from UK airports

BTW flew STN to EDN &amp; my expereince is the same as willtravel - however there were seats provided to allow you to put your shoes back on.

One note - all larger electronic items such as laptops have to be removed from their bags before scanning
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Thank you for the EasyJet report - We are flying on them on our trip home from Italy and will make sure to just check our bags...