Walking through Security with or without shoes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed people discussing wearing shoes or not wearing shoes when going through security at airports.
This past weekend we took a small trip by airplane. This required a walk through the security zone at Newark Airport.
While the workers were quite polite and smiled, they are very no nonsense. I was wearing small, thin soled, strappy sandals, with the express purpose of seeing if I could get away with NOT taking them off for the scanner. Right away, the man said take off your shoes.
So I did. I tip toed across the icky floor and while grabbing my shoes and rubbing the germs off my bare foot with a tissue (think it worked?) I asked what would happen if I just preferred to keep the shoes on.
The nice security man said-" Oh, you can, but then we will have to search you, ALL of you"..
I did notice that the floors were very shiny, maybe they decontaminate them frequently.
I was happy to do this research for all of you and I am glad to say that my feet are fine. No sores, blisters or strange growths.(but I did notice that the Pup is very interested in them)
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:02 PM

Unless you're sure your shoes have no metal (buckles, or a metal strip within the sole, for example), it's best to just throw them in a bucket. If you don't care to tippy toe across the icky carpet, wear shoes with absolutely no metal.

If your shoes make the alarm sound (and it's not just your shoes, but the total of the metal you have on your person: jewelry, watch, eyeglasses, pocket change, gum foil, etc.), you'll be forced to wait aside then endure the full body scan.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:02 PM

PS Be advise that an underwire bra may just tip the alarm.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:09 PM

Scarlett, it's always wise to keep a pair of peds in your handbag just for these occasions. You can always keep a used pair in your purse that you get in the shoe department when you try on shoes at the store.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

In Las Vegas last year, I got a "random check" from security. She ran the wand over me, my watch made it beep. Because of that, I asked about the underwire and she said that they know not to hold the wand so close to the bra/chest that it would set off the wand.
I have Purell in my bag, ( escalators creep me out) ~ so I used that on a tissue on my feet
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 11:11 PM

Traveled with 4 people last month through Boston, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, San Diego - no one had to remove shoes.

While walking barefoot through any part of an airport is not something I would choose to do if I had a choice, I can not think of any significant disease one could get through intact skin on the bottom of ones feet. Many other ways to acquire germs while traveling that would be more effective!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 12:33 AM

As I went through security in Newark last Wednesday, everyone was automatically taking off there shoes. I waited. The security guard looked at my black leather reboks and asked,"sneakers?". I said,"yes". He motioned me through. On my way back on Sunday in London no one was asked to remove shoes.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:05 AM

I only had to remove shoes once, they were boots. I had socks on, so walking on the floor was no biggie.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:08 AM

The smart thing to do once you removed your shoes would be to wear socks when going thru security and then, later on, remove them if you want to.

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out how to avoid walking on the yucky airport floors.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Having seen this subject discussed on these boards in the past,this post was meant to be informative, not a question. I just wanted to share my most recent experience with a little humor.

luv2fly-Funny you should say that, my Yankee IS a brain surgeon!
You are obviously a man, no woman would wear strappy summer sandals with socks!
But thanks for the advice.
djkbooks, I forgot that I was wearing a heavy sterling bracelet and I breezed through that metal detector, is that good or bad
I find it interesting that different airports don't ask for travelers to remove their shoes. Why don't all airports have the same safety standards?
leslie, I saw a lady with something like peds-I will keep that in mind~
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:25 AM
mm

If you wear Rockport shoes be prepared to take them off. All Rockport shoes have a metal shank with sets off the detectors.

All the screeners know this and will tell you to take them off even before you go through since they know the alarm will sound.

They still Xray them and run the swab looking for explosive.

I'll wear my sneakers next time.

MM
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:29 AM

Scarlett, just had the same experience. I was wearing leather thongs with a small heel (my feet were totally exposed) & had to take my shoes off. People in closed sneakers did not. It makes no common sense. Evidently shoes with heels often have a metal thingy inside where the heel meets the sole. It sets off the alarm so they're forced to search you. Ain't bureaucracy great.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:42 AM

Scarlett, I went through the same thing in July at LaGuardia. I had on a pair of thin strappy heeled sandals (there was only 2 thin straps, so my feet were basically completely exposed) and I was asked to remove my shoes along with everyone else, including those with sneakers! Maybe because this was right after that shoe bomb incident, but I was still kind of surprised that I was told to remove my shoes. Next time I'll wear a pair of plastic flip flops! LOL
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:50 AM

Yankee Brain surgeon?

Here is a link to what some podiatrists have to say about airport shoe removal hazards:
http://content.health.msn.com/conten...e/73/81927.htm

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

LOL, JohnD, I know, you are having trouble with the Yankee and Brain in the same sentence
Thanks for the article, I am happy that I had my little bottle of Purell.
I remember when they first started this shoe removal business, they were only doing it to little white haired ladies, so maybe this is just to make us all feel equally suspicious
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:46 AM

In response to Mclaurie's comment about inconsistency, the usual practice of letting people through without taking off sneakers does make sense. To explain: The guards ask anyone wearing shoes that might contain metal to take them off so as to speed up the process (i.e., avoid setting off the alarm, etc.). Sneaks are not likely to contain metal. However, if they did and set off the alarm, the individual would be scanned.
Now, you ask, "Why not just have everyone remove his/her footwear?" The answer might me that they perhaps want to inconvenience as few people as possible and still take security precautions.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:55 AM

Scarlett - just to add to the belief that they are inconsistent:

I flew from DC (Dulles) to Raleigh this past weekend, and also from DC (Reagan) to Colorado Springs the week before.

Both times when I was asked (told?) to take my shoes off (Ked-type sneakers), I said that they never set off the detectors so I'd like to leave them on (I was very polite about it).

I went through both securities without being searched and without taking off my shoes. No problems, no attitudes from security, etc.

Just thought I'd share.
Karen
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 08:15 AM

Funny that flip-flops were mentioned. In Honolulu last year we saw an approximately 12 year old girl singled out for the remove your shoes so they can be swabbed for bombs routine. And she was wearing obviousely well worn flip-flops. It was pretty funny.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 08:21 AM

At the security area in the Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix, a supply of paper booties was available for people who removed their shoes. Sounds like a good idea for other airports, too.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Now that is using their heads! I would wear a paper booty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -