Search

Montmartre

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montmartre

My boyfriend and I will spend 6 nights in the 6th arrondissement and our last 2 nights in the 18th - Montmartre. Does anyone know whether Timhotel Montmartre or the Hotel Prima Lepic would be a better hotel to stay in? Both look very nice on the website but since we've never been to Paris we're not sure if one is in a better neighborhood/section of Montmartre. Also, from reading travel talk it seems that some hotels say they are located in Montmartre but are really somewhere close to it.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:20 PM

We've stayed at the Prima Lepic. We like the location very much--it's on a lively market street, just off rue des Abbesses, within easy walking distance of the Abbesses metro station.

In the other direction (downhill), you'll be close to the Place Blanche metro. The Moulin Rouge is right there. The area around Place Blanche can be a little seedier than it is at the top of the street, so we just didn't spend much time down there. Never felt unsafe, though.

I have to warn you--the Prima Lepic looks much nicer on its web site than it is in real life. It's not a bad hotel, certainly not for the price, but it's not quite as quaint as it comes off in the photos. But I'd stay there again probably.

Right on rue Lepic you'll find the Cafe des Deux Moulins, which was the cafe in the movie "Amelie". There's a wine bar just around the corner on rue des Abbesses that we enjoyed. It's called La Sancerre. It has live music some nights and attracts a young crowd.

We love this section of Montmartre (and yes, it <i>is</i> definitely Montmartre. It will be an interesting contrast to the 6eme. I hope you will post about it when you return.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the Timhotel Montmartre.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:55 PM

The only thing I know about the Timhotel Montmartre is that the exterior has a &quot;cameo&quot; role in Eric Rohmer's film, <i>Rendezous in Paris</i>.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:57 PM

I would choose the Timhotel, I think it's a nicer hotel. These are just perceptions from seeing it and reading about it in several places, as well as the other--I haven't stayed at either, although I have been to both areas. The Timhotel has a nice quiet location in a secluded square.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:04 PM

<i>The Timhotel has a nice quiet location in a secluded square.</i>

Christina, that's what I remember about it from Rohmer's film. The location, on that square, looked so appealing that I had to find out what the hotel was.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:48 PM

My friend and I travel to France frequently...we actually lived in Paris last year for seven months. When staying in Paris we LOVE Hotel Regyn's Montmartre...Room # 56! It is a very clean hotel, just a few steps from a Metro stop...and the room has a view of the Eiffel Tower and the Arc! And, for a Paris hotel you cannot beat the price!
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:59 PM

When we walked by Regyn's Montmartre, my husband said that he wanted to stay there the next time we stayed in Montmartre.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 03:39 PM

We stayed at an apartment on Rue Cortot. We found the Montmartre area wonderful, especially around Rue Lepic and Rue des Abbesses. We walked the streets every evening then took the funicular up to Place de Terre and on to our apartment.

We would get off the metro at Place Blanche and walk up Rue Lepic, grabbing a chicken on the spit, some roasted potatoes, cheese, bagette, and some wonderful desserts for a nice evening dinner, then out for a drink and people watch.

Sorry I can't help you with any accommodations, but you will have a wonderful time in the area.

Two restaurants in the area that I can highly recommend are Le Restaurant on Rue Veron, and Le Petit Robert, down one of the dead end streets to the left as you leave Place Blanche and head up Rue Lepic. Reservations recommended at both places. Le Petit Robert is a very small place, and menus written on scrolls each day.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 04:23 PM

We last stayed in the Timhotel Montmartre a few years ago (more like 25 years ago) when it was called the Hotel Paradis. The first two floors were rented by the hour to &quot;Ladies of the Night&quot;. We stayed on the top floor, with a tiny balcony overlooking all of Paris. Bathroom was down the hall. We have since been back to check it out. The hotel is now about as upscale as they can make it; elevator, bathrooms etc. The location is still superb; a quiet square, near the metro and close to many decent restaurants. Give it a try; this place has an interesting history! JP
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 04:37 PM

We stayed in the Timhotel Montmartre about four years ago. My son and I had rooms at the top with our own little balcony with a view of the Eiffel Tower over the rooftops. I could barely believe my eyes when it lit up at night. My Mom had a room on a lower floor overlooking the square, which was also nice.
The square had young street performers in the evening who were practicing for their performances. It was a real treat to sit on the park benches and watch them.
Breakfast was fine.
The area is a short walk from the shopping and artsy areas of Montmartre. Sacre Coeur is also not far. It was a great place to stay.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 05:40 PM

I haven't been inside so I can't comment on the accommodations, but it is difficult not to admire the manner in which the Timhotel Montmartre is situated and I would expect it to be a classic Paris experience.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Timhotel Montmartre is a great idea...When I went to visit Montmartre, I saw this hotel and it looks very good because its location is perfect, just a few steps from the Butte Montmartre...Have you looked at its website: www.h-montmartre.com?
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:19 AM

Hi,
My mother and aunt stayed at the Timhotel Montmartre a couple of years ago when they came to visit me in Paris. They had a fantastic view from their window, and were happy with the hotel and location (note that taxis can't go right to the door so bear - there are a few steps you'll have to walk up with your luggage). Their only gripe was that the breakfast room was very small indeed. The hotel is located next door to the famous Bateau Lavoir where Picasso, Juan Gris, Max Jacob, Modigliani and others used to have their studios.

If you do stay there, I'd highly recommended having dinner at Chez Toinette on rue Germain Pilon. Fabulous French/proven&ccedil;al food, fresh produce, menu changes daily. Great value, friendly service. I've eaten there several times over the last few years and have not been disappointed yet!
Another great address is La Queue du Chat at the top of rue Tholoz&eacute;. Really nice, laid back atmosphere and lovely cuisine.

Also, if you want to go for a drink on rue des Abbesses, I'd recommend popping into the Cave des Abbesses at no. 43. Behind the shop is a lively bar where you can sample all sorts of wines by the glass or bottle, and they do great plates of charcuterie, cheese, grilled vegetables, bread with pesto, etc. Full of locals. There's a couple of tables on the pavement too, great for people-watching.

Le Chinon on rue des Abbesses is good for a late night drink or bite to eat. I prefer this caf&eacute; to the rather noisy, trendy, &quot;look-at-me&quot; atmosphere at le Sancerre.
Another good place for an evening drink is le Progr&egrave;s, on rue Yvonne le Tac. Prices are cheaper than on rue des Abbesses, too.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:22 AM

Um, &quot;note that taxis can't go right to the door so bear - there are a few steps you'll have to walk up with your luggage&quot; - don't know how the bear got in there! :-s
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:32 AM

hanl, great stuff!!
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Excellent info for our next Montmartre visit, hanl. Thank you.

We did like Le Chinon, too. But I must say we didn't find Le Sancerre trendy. Noisy, yes (what with the live music and all), and with a young vibe, but not trendy.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Elle, maybe &quot;trendy&quot; wasn't quite the right word... Maybe it's just that the atmosphere wasn't quite right for untrendy me

My BF used to live on rue des Abbesses, and the wine bar opened directly onto his building's courtyard so we had a direct shortcut there (*hic*). I used to live on the other side of Place Blanche, so I'm really familiar with the area.
Loved it there!! But didn't love the racket from the Sancerre at 3 am when trying to sleep!!
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Hello again - I made a reservation at the Timhotel for our last 2 nights in Paris. Once we return from Paris I will be sure to post an update. We've been wanting to come to Paris for about 6 years and ever since &quot;Amelie&quot; it's been calling us. I can sense that Montmartre is a very beautiful place filled with everything we're looking for just from reading all of your interesting and thougtful comments.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 09:11 AM

If you haven't already, ask if you can have a room with a view of the Eiffel Tower. My brother made our reservations and chose the room we had.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the website, Morganne. Very reasonable rates and I really do love the look of the outside and the location on that square. No wonder Rohmer chose it as a location for the couple in one of his three vignettes. I hadn't known it was next door to, as hanl mentioned, the Bateau Lavoir. Never really considered staying in Montmartre but, if I ever do, this will be high on my list.