Search

7th or 9th?

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7th or 9th?

We are planning a trip to Paris next March for a long week-end, so I need to make the most of it! I have researched like crazy and narrowed my choices down to Hotel Langlois in the 9th or Hotel Muguet or Grand Leveque in the 7th. We like a quiet room, but we are on a budget and those hotels all sound good. Is the Rue de Cler noisy? Any feedback appreciated.
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:14 PM

I would go with the 7th.
rue Cler can be noisy on the weekend, they play loudspeakers with music and people talking. But it does not start very early in the morning because we never woke up to noise and our apt was on the corner of rue Cler & rue Grenelle. Grand Leveque is the one right on the rue Cler? My apt bedroom window looked over at it
I think it would probably be fine, since you will be up and out in the am, nights in the area are very quiet.
good luck on your decision~
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:28 PM

i've stayed twice in the 9th and it's been great and quiet. the hotel was the Best Western Bergere. i've paid 80E a night for both trips. very clean and reasonably large room. i called the hotel directly to get the best rate. there is actually quite a few BW in that area. but it's not like a BW chain-type hotel, the hotels are unique.

great creperie stand near the hotel.
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:55 PM

I've stayed in both and would choose the 7th. Actually, I've stayed in both those properites but it was several years ago; would choose the Leveque. It ain't no palace, but it is clean, friendly and well located. Haven't stayed at the Muguet but friends who have said it was fine.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:17 PM

I was in the 9th on Blvd. Haussmann a couple of blocks from Gallerie Layfayett and the Opera. Close to the Madeline (SP). I can't compare to other areas because I have only been to Paris twice. I liked that area. Lots of cafes and restaurants, good shops, Passage Joeffry..I think that's the one.. a little ways down the street, metro close by. All I can say is I liked it. Can't comment on other areas. My first trip was a tour and I know we were on the Left Bank but didn't have a clue where we were.
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:32 AM

It really doesn't matter if rue Cler is noisy at night (although I have never heard what was described). It doesn't matter because the Muguet is on a dead quiet residential street 2 blocks away--rue Chevert. I would stay at the Muguet. It is convenient to 2 Metro stops, 5 bus routes, within walking distance of easily 30 restaurants and cafes, and the Eiffel Tower peeks out from around every corner.
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:39 AM

I would stay in the 7th and choose the Muguet over the others. It is nicely located and the 7th is a great place for restaurants.
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:40 AM

If you're seeking quiet, I would definitely choose the 7th. Other than the hordes heading for the Eiffel Tower, it's largely an upscale residential neighborhood and the government distirct. It's a little too placid for my tastes, but we had a great stay there at the Derby Eiffel (very close to Rue Cler and Ecole Militaire.)
The 9th, and I think the Langlois is in the department stores area, is very commercial and busy. I stayed at a hotel on Rue du Faubourg Montmartre near the Grands Boulevards metro station, and it was busy and noisy well into the night, which I didn't mind at all.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:21 AM

I think if you want a guarantee of quiet (at least from the street), the Muguet would probably be best of that bunch. It is on a side street without any major traffic. Of course rue Cler will be relatively noisy (depending on when you mean), as it's a very narrow pedestrian street full of vendors (it's called a market street, that's basically what it is, although there may be a few apartments above some of those stores), many of them with open fronts or right on the "street" (more of a walkway than a street like where cars drive). So of course it is going to be noisy from all the shoppers and vendors and deliveries. It probably won't be bad in the middle of the night.

The Hotel Langlois isn't too far from the large dept. stores but I wouldn't characterize it from that or anything like the blocks right where the stores are which is about 6 blocks away. It's on a smaller street right off where Trinite square (and metro stop is, due to the church Ste-Trinite). I really like that area and fine the square and surrounding shops and cafes pleasant and charming. That part of rue Saint Lazare is not a major thoroughfare, but it's still more of a major street than the one Muguet is on.

It has good reviews on Tripadvisor and a couple folks comment that the street is pretty quiet. There are no major outside noise complaints that I saw, so I'd trust that. One post did comment that the hotel itself was kind of noisy due to the older squeaking wood floors, though. If you can't decide for other reasons, might as well take some things like that into consideration, it could bother you, also, perhaps.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:50 AM

In the time we were on rue Cler which is a normal sized cobblestone street with sidewalks ( on the corner overlooking rue Cler & rue Dominique) the only vehicles going on the rue were small delivery trucks and vans to the restaurants and shops. Otherwise only the occassional scooter or motorcycle.
The Market on the weekend is when they have the most business but it closes in the late afternoon, most of the buildings have apts upstairs..the hotel is about 2 doors from rue Grenelle next to a big store (produce) and an ATM machine. It faces the FranPrix.
It was very very quiet at night, it is a family neighborhood with a school half a block down rue Dominique.
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:04 PM

I am glad to hear the Leveque is so well thought of...I'm going there in September and we have reservations at the Leveque.

Personally, I LOVED Rue Cler. We stayed in the 7th at Hotel du Champ du Mars, around the corner from the Leveque. The only reason we're not going back is that the Champ du Mars hotel was booked up already for September. When we were there in 2003, I got sick with bronchitis, and the front desk helped us call a doctor to the hotel and took care of me (ah, socialized medicine! Only cost me $80 Euro for a home visit!).

The Champ du Mars hotel is also reasonably priced and has a stellar staff. Book early if you stay there. They book up faster than the Leveque.
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:09 PM

Hi Jules, I think the Hotel du Champ de Mars has changed somewhat since you visited in 2003. I read some unfavorable comments on tripadvisor.com lately. I have not gotten a chance to stay there although I emailed them for rate info. many times. Only twice I received replies. It appears that if they are booked they don't answer. But I understand it's a good budget hotel.
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of this advice! I have contacted the Champ de du Mars and they did write back immediately saying to contact them again in September because their rates were changing for next year. It's been several days and I still haven't heard back from the Grand Leveque. Langlois wrote back immediately. According to Margot Classe (anyone heard of her book Hello France?), Langlois is the best place to stay in Paris. I do like the sound of the Rue Cler neighborhood much more though. Muguet is still my first choice, but they are doing renovations between December and March and may not be ready in time. They said to contact them again in December So, I've made the booking at Langlois for now, but will hold out if I can get one of the others. I am obsessing so much about this that I can't sleep -- crazy!