Staying in the 15th arron.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hotel de l'Avre just faxed us an offer of 98 euros for three adults. We love the 6th but can't find a bargain hotel. Are we nuts to stay in the 15th arron.?
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:19 PM

I have stayed in the 15th and am not that nuts. I was renting an apartment and staying a while and had reasons for that location, plus it's more a reasonable cost residential area. It's not as interesting or convenient as the 6th, I'll agree, but hotels are cheaper and it's okay. I'd rather stay there than in some other parts of Paris, including parts of the 6th, actually.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:26 PM

ok, I just looked where it was -- that isn't the part I stayed in so I don't know it that well (I did like where I was staying around place Charles Michels). But it isn't really that far from the 7th, it's right near La Motte Picquet metro stop and bd Grenelle (which isn't that charming). Ave Emile Zola is kind of pleasant and has some good restaurants and it will be convenient to metro and really only a few blocks from the area a lot of other people stay in the 7th and the Champ de Mars. <BR><BR>If you think the hotel is a good deal for you, I wouldn't worry about that location.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We've only stayed in Paris one other time. Stayed at the Hotel du Globe, which was reasonable and they were very nice, but our bathroom was literally falling down around us. Is this hotel location anywhere near Rue du Cler? Do you know if there are any charming bistros, pastry shops, or parks nearby?
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:29 AM

Hotel de l'Avre is located in a quiet street next to La Motte Picquet -Grenelle with easy bus and metro connections.<BR>However rooms can be very tiny at this hotel, so make sure they have understood that there are three adults staying in the same room!
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 06:00 AM

Hotel de l'Avre is one that I've been looking at for future possibilities. To me, it looks pretty good for the price. It's on a small side street (quiet) but only a block from a major metro stop (la Motte-Picquet Grenelle). There is a huge market underneath the metro railing some days, and a Monoprix very nearby. Crossing rue de Grenelle, you can find some brasseries along la M-P-G and ave Suffren area.<BR>The walk to rue Cler is doable but is a stretch, however only a Metro stop or so away if you need to save your feet.<BR>I saw a lot of positive comments on the Bonjour Paris message board about this hotel, before they restructured the format. Go for it! (and come back to tell us how it was
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Still considering it, but wonder if the metro is safe for coming back late at night?
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:38 AM

We had friends who stayed in that area and took their small children home on the metro. We also dropped them there and returned to our 5th Arr. hotel several times with nary a concern about safety or any hint of problems.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! That's a big help. I put another post up wondering if Hotel Du Lys is worth 125euros? We're trying to decide between the two, and Hotel de l'Avre is only 98euros and seems to have everything going for it but the location thing.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 05:30 PM

Hi traveldanni, I ,too, have just sent a deposit for an apartment in the 15e. It is near Pasteur metro station. I think it is around Blvd Pasteur and Rue Falguiere. Do you know that area? I am also thinking of the same about this neighbourhood, that it may be a bit far from many conveniences.<BR>I would appreciate it if anyone can post information about this neighbourhood around Pasteur. Thanks.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi, wish I could help. All I know is the comments on this posting. I'm hoping someone will answer this question. We have to decide tonight.