Monterosso Hotels

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Monterosso Hotels

We will be traveling to the Cinque Terre this June, my husband and I, and my in-laws. We were interested in staying at the Villa Steno, however, they are booked for the 2 nights that we need. My mother -in-law wants to book us rooms in a B&B called "A Ca du Gigante" in Monterosso. I searched on this site, and on TripAdvisor as well, but there is no information (which scares me)!

Has anyone been there, or heard of it? Can you give me a suggestion for an alternate, besides Porto Roca?

Thanks in advance, I have only posted in the Forums a couple of times, but I lurk just about every day, and you all have been instrumental in my planning!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:07 PM

Did you try Albergo Pascale - the sister hotel to Hotel Villa Steno?
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

We haven't checked our dates with the Pasquale, because we really wanted an ocean view, and it is my understanding that the Pasquale doesn't have one.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Yes, I have heard of this hotel. Friends of mine stayed there last summer because the hotels with a view were all booked also. They enjoyed it very much and they said that the food was also very good...I would stay there on their recommendation so I hope this helps you decide.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:53 PM

I believe (if my memory is correct), that Albergo Pasquale is actually very close to the beach. It is not up on hill, so no uphill walking.

http://www.hotelpasquale.com/en/
"Hotel Pasquale is a Family run Hotel located in the heart of the old town of Monterosso in Cinque Terre, directly in front of the old town beach and very close to the harbor. All of the 15 rooms are newly renovated with new modern bathrooms and they all have wonderful views of the sea and of the Cinque Terre coast."
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Hi MRSB1497: I saw the "A Ca du Gigante" hotel in Monterosso when I was there in mid-September (4 mos ago) and it looked like a nice property. I had emailed them prior and they were very friendly and timely in their response back to me. I would think you would be pleased with their property should you stay there.

Regarding the Hotel Pasquale, it is located in the "old" town of Monterosso and is in front of the beach. It is owned by the Pasini family (who also own the Villa Steno). The Hotel Pasquale is the more economical of the two.

Here is some other hotel information in Monterosso al mare. I contacted the following hotels for early/mid September 2004 rates and received the information below (respectively). All these hotels are located either at the water's edge and/or have sea view rooms: Hotel Baia; Hotel Porto Roca; Locanda Il Maestrale; Hotel 5 Terre; Hotel Le Palme; Hotel Marina: La Colonnina; Hotel La Pineta.

Hotel Baia (www.baiahotel.it) has double rooms with daily breakfast for 140 euros/night. Please note that rates are even lower in the off-season (the minimum charge for a double room is 110 euros).

Locanda Il Maestrale has bright and airy suites, hotel terrace, with double room rates of 100-130 euros (Stefania and Giovanni are the owners).

Hotel 5 Terre has 54 rooms with sea views, elevator, etc. A double room (middle season 15 Sept- 2 Nov) is 140 euros, includes breakfast. (Note I was offered a double room rate of 120 euros, without breakfast, so there is room for negotiation).

Hotel Le Palme has low season rates (1-31 Oct) for doubles at 155 euros, incl breakfast.

Hotel Suisse Bellevue offered 120 euros for a double incl breakfast, they have free pkg, and also a shuttle to pick up/deliver guests to the center of Monterosso.

Hotel Marina offers (in October) 54 euros per person/per day, plus an addtl 8 euros if breakfast is included.

La Coloninna offered me 93 euros (no breakfast) for 2 people for a double room/per day.

Hotel La Pineta has a private beach and offered me 120 euros for 2 people total, including breakfast (request a room with a balcony and view of the harbor).

If you are interested in any of the above hotels I gave you, you can contact them via the website address of www.cinqueterrenet.com Find the particular hotel you want and click on it, there are then links to send an email or contact them via phone/fax.

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:49 PM

The Convento dei Cappuccino did rent clean, basic rooms for about $80 US double last year. It sits above the train tunnel, but is very quiet and has great views of the sea with patios.
It is no longer an active convent.

You can drive in from the top or walk up a bit of a hill from below.

I strongly urge you to not falsely accuse the help of stealing your camera.