Money Matters!!!

Old Jul 7th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money Matters!!!

Hi Everyone,

I, like many others, have the age old question ... How much money do you think I will need for my trip?

My boyfriend and I are travelling from Dec - Jan through some of Europe. The airfares, trains and accommodation will be paid for before we go.

Spain: 8 nights in Malaga, 2 nights in Madrid, 2 nights in Barcelona
UK: 8 nights in London
France: 10 nights in Paris.

We are flying between all places except possibly between Malaga to Madrid and Madrid to Barcelona (thinking trains), so we have maximum time in each city

I love to shop, experience the culture, LOVE art museums, seeing the sites, theatre, walking, photos and will also be a little kid in a candy store when we visit Disneyland.

So I guess I am trying to get a guide of how much we should budget for each day. Also do you think I need 2 days at the Louvre and at Disneyland?

I've never been to Europe before but I am very excited

Any help would be amazing

Thanks
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 06:04 AM

I don;t think you need any time at Disneyland unless you are 10 years old - but then I don't get Disney for adults.

Two full days at the Louvre will exhaust you - and unless you are truly interested in all the departments (do check the web site) is seems overkill.

With so many days in Paris I would do a couple of day trips - to places that make sense in the winter - perhaps Strasbourg or Bruges.

As for shopping, expect almost everything is going to cost significantly more than in the US - even French goods. So if you want to shop make sure you have CCs with nice high limits with you.

For daily costs - assume things will be about a third higher than i the US - for instance, a meal that is $40 in the US will be 40 euros in europe.

As for cash, bring $200 or so emergency money - but don;t use it unless you have to. Plan on paying for all larger bills with your CC and pull walking around money from your checking account with your ATM card.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!!

For the record people I'm from Australia

Still excited for Disneyland

Will defs take on day trips in Paris sounds fabulous!!

Thanks again
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 06:38 AM

I know some other people who like Disney as an adult, I guess that's the only place you can go to something like that, whatever. However, I would not spend 2 days there and no, you absolutley do not "need" 2 days at the Louvre. Museums are great, but part of the purpose of traveling is to actually see places, not art inside buildings. Furthermore, there are other museums you might want to see other than the Louvre, which has only certain styles of art and is very large and tiring.

No one can tell you what you will spend on shopping, that is nothing to do with a travel cost, so that's your business what you want to buy and spend on it. I never hardly buy anything on a trip, literally. Maybe 1-2 pieces of clothing if it's something I need due to weather, and maybe a scarf or some minor local item, but that's it. I also may buy a few some items for souvenirs or something I like (like jewelry, which is easy to pack and takes up almost no room).

So I don't think of that as a travel budget, what I choose to spend on goods, it's extra.

For other stuff, eating, museums, transportation, tickets, etc. (you will only go to the theatre in London, I'm sure, get some of those cheap same day tickets) -- round figure, count on 75-100 euro a day. One could do it for less (eg, eating very cheaply and not snacking), of course, but that's up to you.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 07:35 AM

Museums are great, but part of the purpose of traveling is to actually see places, not art inside buildings.
______
That sounds like some of my best friends are museums. We are inveterate musuem goers and most of the art is indoors, especially the oils. Seeing art from a few feet away is a totally different experience and one that can be highly instructive and rewarding. When we visit a place like Paris or Madrid with many world class museums, we alternate, a museum one day, than another activity the next, art museum, etc.

OTOH, I do not understand spending time shopping and that is an activity many enjoy while traveling. Which I beleive is an indoor activity as well.

Disneyland is where a uniuqe experience shared by 10 million people.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 08:31 AM

The one complaint I have about Disneyland Paris, and I agree 1 day is enough, is they make no effort to enforce the smoking regulations. One is not supposed to smoke except in designated areas but people walk around puffing on their cancer sticks polluting my lungs and this has been going on for a while and complaints to customer serice get you nowhere. Such a shame this is allowed to ruin a visit to the park.