Modena, Maranello & Ferrari factory

Jan 6th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Modena, Maranello & Ferrari factory

Wise travellers:

Will be flying into Milan 7:05 AM, 3/20/09. My brother and I want to visit the Ferrari factory in Maranello before we head south to Florence, Rome . . . tentatively want do the tour(s) on the 22nd- so that we are traveling to or are in Florence the 23rd. Would appreciate any information on travel to Maranello/Ferrari(train, bus- from Modena, Reggio E)and info about the Galleria and/or factory tour(s)

I also welcome suggestions: would it be better to go directly from MXP to Modena (by train?)when we arrive, rather than stop to get a room (for our NECESSARY jet-lag adjustment) in Milan, then on to Modena the next day? In either case, are there reasonable and convenient accomodations in Modena (or Reggio E.) for an 1 or 2 evening stay? Apologies for the length of this request- but all recommendations nonetheless are welcome- -personal experiences a great plus. Grazie!!
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Hi Zola - No personal experience, but you might these links useful:

http://www.motorstars.org/

http://www.galleria.ferrari.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM

From Milano Malpensa airport take the airport bus into town, it goes to the central train station called Milano Centrale, take a train for Bologna that stops in Modena (not all do - it has to be an IC or EScity or ICPlus). Then take a taxi, it's about 10 miles south of Modena.

Train schedules at www.ferroviedellostato.it

Plenty of hotels in and around Modena.
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Zola
We went to the factory a few years ago.Unless it has changed you need to make a appointment thru a Ferrari dealer and at that time you needed to own a Ferrari also. As stated it may have changed since then. You can go to the Galleria and tons of stores that are all Ferrari. You can have lunch and if you are a Ferrari person it will be great fun even if you cannot go to the factory.
Cheryl
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

DalaiLlama- thanks for a lot of good information. So, now I'll push the good fortune: Any notion what the cost of the taxi ride from Modena might be?

also, thanks Steve and Cheryl-(for the personal note)
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM

I second the recommendation to check out motorstars.org. The website will show a number of tours offered.
Jan 6th, 2009, 12:40 PM

Zola
I answered before opening the tour sight that was listed. Unless I am not reading it correct it is as I said and you will not get a tour inside the factory only driving around the outside. If this is the case I am not sure paying somone is worth the money. The town is small and you can go everywhere on your own--just pay to go into the gallery and walk to all the stores.
Ferrari F1 was testing when we were there--the track is across from the factory.
Didn't want you to plan on something you may not get.
Cheryl
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Minellac is correct. You can't get a Ferrari factory tour without a reservation which can be made by your local dealer if you own a Ferrari, the dealer thinks you're serious about buying one or you've already put in your order.

You'll notice on the motorstars.org link that they offer tours of the Ferrari museum only, not the factory.

My husband enjoyed the Lambo factory tour, but as he readily points out, "A Lambo factory is not a Ferrari factory."
Jan 7th, 2009, 09:30 AM

I visited the Ferrari museum in October. It's worth the visit. They do have audio tours in English. The "official" store and other shops are in easy walking distance to the museum.

Jan 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all: the posts have provided very, very helpful stuff! I think I have all I need on the tour. However- being the ever-diligent(?)fellow that I am- does anyone have an idea of the cost for taxi fare from the Modena train station to Maranello? Grazie, z.
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:22 PM

I don't know about taxi fare - maybe 30 euro, and I'm not sure about availability of taxi for your return.
You can actually get a bus (#800) fom Modena bus station (Autostazione) to Maranello, which goes quite frequently (every 30 min or so). The bus actually stops outside the factory (Maranello-Ferrari) before going ino the town centre. One-way fare is 2.30 euro and takes about 30 min.
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Alec:

That's a pretty good alternative answer to my question. Thank you vry much. This may sound obvious, but I assume the 30 minute schedule applies to buses which return from the fctory to the train station as well- Yes?
Jan 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM

Yes, though schedule varies between school term, weekdays, weekends etc.
Here is a link to the bus timetable, in Italian, but pretty self-explanatory:
http://www.atcm.mo.it/servizioExtraurbano.asp
Choose from the menu: Maranello and click 'inoltra'
And click 'orario' beside two #800 bus schedules. First is return from Ferrari factory, second is to the factory.
Jan 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM

The bus actually departs from and return to the bus station (autostazione), which is some distance away from the train station (stazione FS). You can catch a bus between the two (#13 or 13A), or a short ride (5 min) in a taxi. Just say 'autostazione' to the driver.
Jan 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM

http://prabhukrish.net/2006/07/14/ferrari/