Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arriving at Milano MXP Before 11:00 a.m. and going to Bologna or Firenze?

Dec 24th, 2010, 06:25 PM
GAC
Original Poster

If you are arriving by plane at Milano Malpensa Airport before 11:00 a.m. and headed to either Bologna or Firenze, you should take note that Trenitalia now has a DIRECT Frecciarossa high-speed train which departs from the Malpensa Airport train station (across the road from the arrivals terminal) at 12:22, and arrives at Bologna Centrale at 14:20 and at Florence-SMN at 15:00. The train stops very briefly at Milano Centrale before continuing its route (all the way to Roma Termini). The regular, one-way fare in second class is 46 Euros to Bologna and 57 Euros to Firenze.

If you prefer to take an earlier train (because your arrival at MXP is quite early), you can always take the Malpensa Express/Shuttle bus or train to Milano Centrale, then connect to the hourly Frecciarossa train south. Bear in mind that you will lose time making the connection at Milano Centrale. For this reason, many travellers will find that this noon-time direct train is by far the easiest, fastest and least stressful way to travel from Malpensa Airport to Bologna or Firenze (or Roma Termini).

NOTE: Even though the "MINI" advance purchase, promotional fare is offered on this particular train (as low at 19 Euros), travellers should take very careful note that booking this discounted fare is QUITE RISKY, since the ticket becomes WORTHLESS if you MISS your reserved train, due a late plane arrival, delays in clearing passport control or baggage claim, or otherwise. Consequently, booking the "MINI" fare for a train departure soon after one's arrival by plane (certainly within five hours of arrival) is discouraged.

www.ferroviedellostato.it
Dec 24th, 2010, 06:59 PM

That is the train I am going to take to Lucca. I figure it will be easier than the bus, then buying the ticket at Milano Central. I'm not crazy about the Milan main station. Either I have missed a lot or there are no sit down restaurants there.
Dec 24th, 2010, 07:31 PM

There are a few places to sit.
http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/i...003f16f90aRCRD

I think Bar Motta has seating.
Dec 24th, 2010, 07:57 PM

I'll take a look around next time. I've only found a sandwich shop. Very popular place, but take-away only. Sometimes I have a little wait and would like to find a nice coffee shop.
Dec 25th, 2010, 06:39 AM
GAC
Original Poster

CORRECTION: The Frecciarossa departing from Malpensa Airport at 12:22 goes all the way to Napoli Centrale (stopping also at Bologna Centrale, Firenze SMN and Roma Termini).

The Frecciarossa departing from Malpensa at 19:22 goes only to Bologna Centrale and Firenze SMN.

There is also direct train service on the return trip: one daily Frecciarossa from Napoli/Roma/Firenze/Bologna, and another from Firenze/Bologna.

Obviously, a majority of travellers would find this train useful to get to/from Bologna or Firenze, since it makes more sense to fly into Roma or Napoli.

If you just want to look up the complete list of trains from Malpensa to Milano Centrale, type in "Malpensa" as your point of departure and "Milano Centrale" as your point of arrival, on the Trenitalia website.

The one-way fare from Malpensa to Milano Centrale is 7 Euros.

Note that taking the train to Milano Centrale should usually be a little faster (and more reliable) than the express bus, which is subject to the vicissitudes of heavy commuter traffic. The train will also be a little more convenient, because it deposits you directly at the departures platform in the central station.

At Milano Centrale, you can connect to trains going in all directions, including Verona, Venice, Genoa, etc.

If you were able to book a "MINI" advance purchase ticket to Bologna or Florence for only 19 Euros, and then MISSED the train, you would need to purchase a new, regular price ticket, and you will have lost 19 Euros. If you have a sufficiently long connection time at MXP Airport, and have very high expectations of making the train departure, taking this risk for 19 Euros might be worthwhile for some. But you need to understand the consequences if your plans don't materialize.
Dec 25th, 2010, 07:04 AM

GAC. You always give the BEST and timely information. Thanks.
Dec 29th, 2010, 07:58 PM

Bookmarked
Dec 30th, 2010, 12:15 AM

BM