Mittenwald (or general vicinity)

Oct 24th, 2014, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Mittenwald (or general vicinity)

Any suggestions for accommodations more contemporary/modern in nature in the Mittenwald area? I've looked at TripAdvisor, Google search, etc. and I'm not seeing anything. This might sound silly, but it's a preference. Am I missing anything? There are some perfectly nice options with a "Bavarian feel". Price is not a concern. Many thanks!
Oct 24th, 2014, 11:02 AM

You didn't specify the dates and that may be your problem- no vacancies. Try Booking.com... and if you don't mind staying a few miles away from Mittenwald, there are a ton of options in Garmisch...

Have a good trip !!!

Oct 24th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We're not going until October 2015, and I think most hotels haven't released their inventory yet. Also, I don't think we're going to find exactly what we're looking for, so we'll just roll with the flow. Hell, we'll be in stunning surroundings and having a blast.
Oct 24th, 2014, 06:28 PM

Post-Hotel is nice, great location. I really have not seen much in Bavaria that isn't Bavarian looking. It is what people expect. Are you going to Oktoberfest? Mittenwald is a bit slow also, very laid back.
Oct 24th, 2014, 09:33 PM

Hi mjz_kc,

I live in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and I stayed in Mittenwald for 5 weeks before I moved here.

As flpab notes, most of the hotels here are in the Bavarian style, as that just fits with the tradition and the atmosphere of the place.

However, the 4-star Hotel Obermuehle (Garmisch) has just renovated one of its buildings, and the rooms have a definite modern feel to them -- clean lines and open space. Though there will still be the fully down comforter on the bed! The hotel is in a nice location about 10 minute's walk to Marienplatz and nearby two bus stops.

I can't think of a single hotel in Mittenwald that would be more modern like that.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Oct 24th, 2014, 09:34 PM

Sorry, brain cramp. Should read, "fluffy down comforter" . . .
Oct 25th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks swandav2000! Hotel Obermuehle will definitely fit the bill. There seems to be a difference between Best Western's in the USA versus Europe.

flab, we're visiting a week after October Fest as we don't want to deal with all the crowds.
Oct 25th, 2014, 04:11 AM

Hi again,

Yes, Best Western hotels in Europe are individual and different -- it's more of a group of individual hotels than having the same design and style.

s
Oct 26th, 2014, 09:03 AM

That is in a great location, close to Tengelmann and our fav Orterer market. They sell Cuban Rum there. You are close enough to walk many places there. I would stay there over Mittenwald. Good bus system in Garmisch.
Oct 26th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks flpab. We're excited as neither of us have been to Souther Germany. We're doing a directional journey starting in Salzburg (I realize this is Austria!) and ending in Nuremberg. The day trip opportunties in this region are just amazing.
Oct 27th, 2014, 03:32 AM

check out www.alpenwelt-karwendel.de/en Complete listing of places to stay
Oct 27th, 2014, 04:19 AM

http://www.hotelvictoria.de/hotel_nu...nuernberg.html

You get off the train, walk through the tunnel and this is just inside the city wall. Another Fodorite told me about it and we loved it. Best breakfast ever in a hotel. Modern feel and helpful staff.