Millau Viaduct viewing - best options?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2017, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Google Maps, it looks like there is an entrance to the A75 a bit south of the viaduct, accessing from the D999, but it's not clear what town/village to plug into the trusty GPS to get me close. From there, looks like an easy drive north across the viaduct, and to the viewpoint, with an exit (with rest stop and information center) just north of that. For those who have visited, does this seem best? Will also stop by Peyre, which I am told offers great views up to the viaduct, and then on to Millau for lunch, on the way to the Tarn Gorges.

Or does it make sense to reverse the whole thing: Peyre first, then on to the information center/entrance, then south across the viaduct to exit to Millau?
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 09:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Best view is at the bottom.
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 09:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.leviaducdemillau.com/en/v...rvation-points
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

kerouac, merci bien - excellent information, as always!
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 09:45 AM

I was there last week.

There's an official viewing point if you get off the A75 at the "Aire de du Viaduc de Millau" rest stop. It's pretty extensive with a visitors centre and all.

Gorges de la Dourbie, driving towards Nant is also good, and from there you easily get to the Templar citadel of La Cavalerie: from there it's easy to get on to the A75 again: that's the D999 entrance you're looking for I think.

If you want to enter from there you could also consider driving the other way, from La Cavalerie to Nant, then left through the Gorges de la Dourbie to Millau (D991), then get onto the D992 along the Tarn. Follow it as far as the Le Clerc hypermarket at Creisels and you'll have a great view. Having passed just underneath the viaduct, you can turn right onto the D41A for an even better view as you cross the bridge across the Tarn there. Then take the D41 into Millau.