Reload this Page >

Ferme de la Huppe and Bastide de la Capelonge questions

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have seen many recommendations for Ferme de la huppe near Gordes in Provence. Is there a website for this inn? Or are there some pictures available somewhere on a website? Does the property have a view of a valley or of the Luberon mountains?

I am so used to being able to see what a hotel or inn looks like before we get there, that I am not comfortable booking a place that I have not seen.

I am also thinking about booking the Bastide de la Capelongue. It looks like there are great views from that hotel and very nice rooms. Saw where someone said there were some not so great reviews. Anyone have experience at this place?

Thanks!

Ginny
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 01:06 PM

la ferme de la huppe is not up in the hills, rather down in the valley below gordes. so not really a view. if i can find the web site i'll post it for you later.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 01:09 PM

there doesn't seem to be a web site with pictures--it's a small operation--but you could certainly write and request a brochure, as we did before our stay. la ferme looks like an old farmhouse, basically, although the interiors have been modernized. the pool is in the front, and a gated fence leads to a courtyard, with the dining room to the left and the two-storied inn to the back.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Bastide de la Capelongue is a beautiful place--very chic and the food is wonderful. Don't know if you are going during pool weather, but the pool is great. You can walk into town which was fun. We stayed here with Backroads so it is an upscale property.

Hope this helps,

Mary in D.C.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
click on ferme de la huppe, there's two photos.
www.laprovence.com/lahuppe
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:25 PM

sorry that old site doesn't work here are the two photos.
http://www.karenbrown.com/france/pag...ort=Rate&id=12
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:27 PM

http://www.capelongue.com/
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:36 PM

Rooma at the Bastide de Capelongue are generally small, but there is a very large room called Simione that is designed for handicapped access. This is a very fine hotel with a good restaurant and attractive decor. Marvelous to-die-for views from the dining room and the terrace right outside [and facing west for the sunsets]...the town off to the right, the pool and gardens below. The dining room service is a little unsophisticated, but the food and setting make up for it. Lots of lavender on the property too. I think that smallish rooms and high prices [compared to what I don't know] have been the major complaints on the board.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:32 PM

well done, mimi! i think our room at la ferme de la huppe is the one on the upper story in the photo. when we stayed there gérard and charlotte were not yet married but thinking of doing so--they're a charming couple, and he is a fabulous chef. charlotte surprised us by knowing quite a lot about napa valley wineries.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:37 PM

It looks very charming. It's on my list for lunch on one of our days in Provence. Your room looks like it may have a beautiful view.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Underhill and Cigelachanta,

What photos are you referring to and who is Mimi? Is there a post missing in here somewhere? Just curious since I am looking for pictures of Ferme de la Huppe?

Thanks!!!

Ginny
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 08:01 AM

ginny, I am mimi.
The two photos of Huppe are in the post above at karenbrown's site
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone for you help. I have booked a room at Ferme de la Huppe for 3 nights. It is one of their largest rooms with a view of the Luberon mountians, he said.

But I am still thinking about Bastide de la Capalongue. Hmmmm......

Ginny

PS Gerald from Ferme de la Huppe said they will a new website at the end of March. Hope so!
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:13 AM

Ginny, what nights are you in Gordes? It sounds like your trip route is similar to ours.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Hopingtotravel,

We are in Gordes for 2 or 3 nights, starting April 24th.

Here is our itinerary so far. If anyone has suggestions, please let feel free to make comments:

Day 1 - train from Barcelona to Montpellier, rent car and drive to Arles. See ruins etc. and then drive to St. Remy to stay overnight at Mas de Carrissans.

Day 2 - See St. Remy, Les Baux, then go to either Avignon to see the papal palace or go to Pont du Gard and Uzes instead. Stay in St. Remy.

Day 3 - DRive over to Luberon area. Hit the Sunday morning market in Isle sur la Sorgue. Do some sight seeing. Stay in Gordes. (or in Bonnieux).

Day 4 - do more driving and sightseeing of Luberon. Stay same place.

Day 5 Plan A - drive down to Aix through the mountains. Get there early afternoon - shop, see city sights and have dinner. Stay near Aix.

Day 5 plan B - Have another full day in Luberon area to drive many sightseeing routes.

Day 6 - Drive to Nice area. (Skip Aix?) Do sightseeing in hills above Nice. Stay in St. Paul at Le Hameau.

Day 7 - Do more sightseeing in hills and along coast - Eze and Villefranche?? Stay in St. Paul.

Day 8 - Nice. Drive to airport at 8:30 pm to fly home.

Any comments or suggestions? A little confused yet.

Ginny
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:57 PM

Ginny, I think we are in Gordes April 28 and 29. Your itinerary sounds much more manageable than mine.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:02 AM

Personally I would skip AIX and spend the extra day in the Luberon.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

hopingtotravel,

What is your itin? Let me know where you will be staying and I can write little notes to you! ;^)

RonZ,

Good - I am sort of leaning toward skipping Aix and spending and extra day seeing the area in and north of Luberon.

Thanks for your advice.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Hi. I'm staying in Les Romarins in Gordes and Chateau des Apilles in St. Remy earlier in the week.
My trip itinerary isn't finished--it's pretty sprawling. When it's done, I'll probably post it and cover my ears. I have too many one-nighters in a row.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:33 AM

one-nighters offer the advantage of keeping moving along one's itinerary instead of staying put and backtracking. it's not that big of a deal as long as you pack for quick in-and-out hotel changes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -