Milan question

Old Jun 5th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milan question

Learned today that my connecting flight to Rome has been pushed back to 4:25 p.m...FRUSTRATING! We arrive on overnight flight at 8:50 a.m. Will we have time to take a quick trip into Milan to see some sights before heading back to the airport or will we just have to sit in the airport all day? Any other suggestions as to what we can do during the layover would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 03:45 AM

Oh my! That is quite a layover and yes, you can take the Malpensa Express and be in the city in about 45 minutes. I have not taken the train but I am sure someone else can help with that.

You might consider getting reservations for the Last Supper (it only takes about 15 minutes to actually see the painting) and then seeing the Duomo and having lunch. You can easily make it back to the airport by 2:30 or 3 for your flight. You will have no bags to check and will have your boarding pass so you should require minimal time to get through immigration and security and to your gate.

I have always enjoyed Milan and would encourage you to use the time to enjoy the city rather than be bored at the airport.

Alternatively, if you want to just get to Rome, take the train and you can be there in under 4 hours.

Have fun!
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Kfusto, thanks. Unfortunately we will have bags since we are changing airlines and the Milan-Rome flight was not part of our original itinerary. I doubt the second carrier will let us check our bags in the morning for a late afternoon flight. Do you know if there is a baggage drop at MXP where we can leave our bags and pick them up later?
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 04:14 AM

You should be able to do it, regarless of whether you are leaving out of Malpensa or Linate. Of course, if you are dealing with Malpensa, then you will have less time due to it's distance outside of the city.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 04:51 AM

Who is the second carrier? Are you certain they do not have a ticketing arrangement with your primary airline?
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 05:09 AM

"Do you know if there is a baggage drop at MXP where we can leave our bags and pick them up later? "

I believe, post 9/11, MXP offers a baggage hold service in Terminal One only. You can check here for more info: http://www.sea-aeroportimilano.it/en/

If you're not traveling on a budget, I would hire a car service and hit as many hot spots as you can, keeping the driver with you until your return to the airport. I love a great chauffeur. After an overnight flight, I'm too tired to walk or keep to a tight schedule. In younger days, I would scope out the best looking taxi driver and negotiate a five-hour drive/tour deal. I've had lots of fun and met interesting people by being adventurous. And I saved tons of money by being resourceful.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd take the Malpensa Express Train into Milan. (40 minutes.) It drops you at the Cadorna Nord station which closer to the Last Supper and Duomo.

http://www.lenord.it/en/index.php

The Malpensa Shuttle Bus drops you at the central train station. (50 minutes from Terminal 1.) From there, you'd take the metro or a taxi to the main sights.

http://www.malpensashuttle.it/e-default.htm
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Any other thoughts as to whether we can make it into Milan, see some sights and and get back to MXP in time? Also, does anyone know if there is a bag storage area at MXP? Thanks.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 04:18 AM

After a long overnight flight, I would go to Stresa. It take 40-45 min. to go there. You can take Alibus from Terminal 1, or a taxi and have a nice half day near Maggiore lake.

There is a luggage storage office in arrival hall area B http://www.sea-aeroportimilano.it/it...to=servizi_sea
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Just checked alibus schedule and it seems we would only have 2 hours in stresa (leave MXP on 10:30 bus; depart back to MXP on 13:30 bus). Not sure if it is worth the limited time/possible stress to make the buses. Can anyone provide a worthwhile 3 hr visit to Milan?
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:28 AM

You could definitely see the top sights of Milan in three hours. If you want to see the Last Supper, you'll need a reservation. NYCTS provided you with a link to Malpensa services. Yes, there is luggage storage.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean. the online website for the Last Supper says there are no tickets available for July 24. Other than the Duomo, can you suggest some sights that would be worth seeing on a quick tour?
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Hello domer, the beautiful and historical Galleria is right there by the Duomo. And at the opposite end of the Galleria you can walk out to view the LaScala Opera House. I believe they have a museum you might enjoy. Lots of lovely shops to enjoy. Expensive though but "window shopping" is fun. Lunch at some restaurant that appeals to you of course.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 10:20 AM

"the online website for the Last Supper says there are no tickets available for July 24"

I would never trust online ticket services. When one wants something badly enough, one picks up the phone and makes a few calls.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly, thank you for the suggestions.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Definitely make a call for Last Supper tickets. It's worth a try.

Don't underestimate how much time you might want to spend seeing the Duomo. Both the outside and inside are interesting, and the views of and from the roof are amazing.

If you're at all interested in opera, La Scala is on the other side of the Galleria from the Duomo. There's a small museum you could move through rather quickly, and your ticket allows you a peek of the theater's interior from one of the boxes.

If opera isn't your thing and you still have some time, stop at the Castello Sforza on your way back to the Cadorna Nord train station (one block away). You probably won't have time to explore the castello in depth, but the complex includes several museums, one of which contains Michelangelo's last sculpture and other Renaissance treasures.

It's about one kilometer from Cadorna Nord to the Duomo and about half a kilometer from Cadorna Nord to the Last Supper.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM
JES

Yes, there IS a baggage hold at Malpensa. You can ask anyone when you get off the flight to direct you to it.

What kind of things do you like to do?
If it were me, I would head straight for the duomo first and climb to its roof if its a nice day. There are fantastic views of the city and the architecture of the duomo and rooftop itself is really incredible and a unique experience.

You can go to one of the nearby sidewalk cafe's such as the famous cafe Zucca for an espresso and people watch, walk through the galleria, and over to the famous shopping street Via Monte Napoleone.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Jean, I called and was able to get Last Supper tickets at a time that will work for me! Apparently, some tickets remain even when the online site states there are no tickets available. Thanks for suggesting that I call.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Actually, it was NYCTS who made the suggestion, but we're both happy you were successful in getting tickets. Have a short but good visit to Milan!