Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Question about MXP (Milan International airport)

Old May 29th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question. I'm flying on United (UA 968) from EWR (New Jersey) into MXP, and from what I show, United arrives in Terminal 1 (I believe it's 1C). My friend is flying on Delta (Delta 418) from JFK (New York) and he arrives in Terminal 1 (I believe its 1B).

My flight arrives 15 mins before his and we were planning on initially meeting at the gates (either I meet him at his gate if my flight arrives first, or he will meet me at my gate if his flight arrives first.) We both are doing carry on.

Do you know if we can walk to each other gates without any issues, and then go through immigration? Or if that is not allowed to go to that particular section.

Our second option is meeting at the Caffe Milano at the airport if we are unable to meet at the arriving gates. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 29th, 2015, 09:57 AM
J62

No, you should not plan to meet at arriving gates. International arrivals are different from departures so you will be directed to pass through immigration. Passengers from one arriving flight cannot comingle at the arrival gates.

You can meet after passing through customs, or at your 2nd option, the cafe.
Old May 29th, 2015, 11:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I always think a café works better, for sure it's OK for you both to get there, and in case flights are delayed is a more comfortable place to wait (nothing specific to Milan in my answer).
Old May 30th, 2015, 04:53 AM

I just flew into and out of MXP. All arrivals are automatically sent through special entrances directly to Border Control, Customs. You could not even get to where your friends arrives. There is no such thing as "arrival gates".

Meeting at cafe is easiest and most comfortable. Either of you could be late or face other delays.
Old May 30th, 2015, 06:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd meet at a cafe -- but have a plan B. If either flight is delayed 1 or more hours, maybe meet at your hotel.