Search

Itinerary help for family: Milan, Florence, Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary help for family: Milan, Florence, Rome

Hi,

I am taking the family (spouse, 2 pre-teen boys and a 1-yr old) to Italy for the first time in October. We are flying into Milan with FF miles and will stay in country for 14 days. Please, please help with our tentative train plans:

Day 1: arrive Malpensa, train to Florence
Day 7: train from Florence to Rome
Day 14: taxi/car to Fiumicino

How easy is it to train with an infant from Malpensa to Florence? How about getting back to the airport in Rome - we have a 9:45 AM flight; should we stay at the airport hotel the night before or are Roman taxis/traffic predictable?

Thanks so much in advance.

Peter
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 07:22 PM

Peter, we have used a hotel driver and limo to take us to FCO for early flights, twice. It has worked out fine. I don't think I would want to drag the family on a train in the morning.

I think you will be going to the airport early enough that traffic won't be a huge problem. I wouldn't stay in an airport hotel if I could help it.

Others here have used and recommended limo services for trips to FCO. Sorry, but I don't know those.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 07:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Try limoservicerome.com (not limoservice(S)rome.com) I wouldn't stay at the airport for a 9:45 flight as there isn't much hotel selection and the rates are high.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 05:43 AM
ira

Hi pw,

Is there a reason why you are skipping Venice?
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 03:57 AM

Have you looked into flying to Florence via a connection in Milan? This would save you a lot of time and trouble, as getting into the train station in Milan from the airport can take up to an hour or more, and you then have a 3-4 hour train ride ahead of you on top of an international flight. If you flew via Milan, your bags would be checked through, and all you have to do is switch planes. The Florence airport is about 15 minutes from the city, very easy. The only thing to watch is that your flight departing from Milan should depart from Malpensa. If you have to go to the domestic Milan airport, Linate, then it probably is not worth it. (One other caution, if the only airline available for the Milan-Florence portion is Alitalia, you might want to reconsider or get refundable tickets so you can change your mind at the last minute if they are on strike, etc. However, if you are taking Alitalia from the US you would have the same problem anyway.)

Taking a train with an infant should not pose any particular problems, as it seems you will have three people to help you.

With regard to your departure from Rome, as you will be in Rome there is no need to move to an airport hotel. A car service or taxi would be fine. With a 9:45 am departure, you should be at the airport by 7 am at the latest so driving to the airport at the hour will be a breeze. A very large number of international flights take off in the morning, and the airport can be quite chaotic, not to mention the time it takes to go through the various security levels for a US bound flight.

Website for the Milan airports is http://www.sea-aeroportimilano.it/ (Click lower right bar for English)

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:13 AM

Agree that a flight from Milan would be a better plan and resrve a driver in Rome. Enjoy your last night in this magic city and not in airport hotel.