Search

Milan question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milan question

My husband and I have already bought our tickets to Italy but I have one question regarding our flight home from Milan. Our flight to Paris leaves at 7am from Malpensa. that means I need to get to the airpot say 5:30 or so. I read that it takes 50 minutes to get to Malpensa from Milan. We will need to leave the hotel around 4am or so. Does a hotel just call a taxi for you? I know this sounds like a goofy question but I have never had to leave a hotel at 4 am before
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 10:14 AM

The hotel will certainly arrange to have a taxi waiting for you at that hour. If you have your taxi take you to the Malpensa Xpress train instead of the bus, you will only need 30 minutes to reach the airport, so you can sleep a wee bit longer.

Others may disagree, but I think staying in Milano and using the Malpensa Xpress is the most reliable way to reach the airport for a very early flight. Staying at airport hotels near Malpensa and trying to leave that early can mean no shuttle or a taxi driver who doesn't show on time. (There are no hotels directly inside Malpensa, as you no doubt already know).
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Stepsbeyond,
I read your post with interest and wonder if the situation is different, i.e., flight leaves Milan at 10:30 a.m. and one needs to arrive at the airport at 7 or 7:30 a.m., what are your feelings about staying at a hotel near airport. I read some reviews re: Novotel Milan Malpense and their shuttle service and am considering this option. My other question is..we will be leaving Venice to arrive in Milan the day before our flight and wonder what is the best way to arrive at the hotel near the airport. Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. My goal in Milan is to see the Last Supper. I am looking to take an early morning flight from Palermo on the 27th and am trying to get tickets for that day. I was planning to stay in Milan, but we both have to get to work on Monday so we have to make that flight. I know there is much to see in Milan, but my main goal is the Last Supper. Anything more is great!
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 11:33 AM

While it is too late for the OP, for Milan departures outside the fog season, I always compare LIN vs. MXP. Because there are no direct flights back home from anywhere in Italy for me, LIN departures can offer an option of less rushed departures when staying in Milan.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 02:55 PM

lrock,

I assume by "trying to get tickets that day" you know that, in addition to flight tickets from Palermo, you might book reservations to see the Last Supper. The church where the Last Supper is located is quite close to the Malpensa Xpress. So if you stay in a hotel near there (Palazzo Delle Stelline is professionally run, budget-friendly choice), you can kill 2 birds.

cusogolf,

I am deeply biased in staying in Milan proper for a great "last supper" in Italy! I have read other people cheer about some hotels and restaurants near the airport, but for me, staying in the city of Milan my final night -- enjoying a great cocktail at a great bar, enjoying a great meal (even if I have to be up at 6 am) beats an airport hotel any day.

Trains and buses to Malpensa from Milan are up and running in abundance by 7am. Part of my problem with airport hotels in Italy is that while many advertise free shuttles, they don't start until 9am. Or they are unreliable. Or they make "milk runs" among a lot of hotels, which turns what should be a 20-minute ride to the airport into 45 minutes of stopping at 6 hotels and several terminal exits and entrances.

And finally, one of my problems with airport hotels is that if -- like you -- you are coming into the Central Station in Milan from someplace like Venice, how the heck do you get to your airport hotel? The best I can figure out is that you take the bus to the airport and then utilize the hotel shuttle (which may expect you to call them to announce your need to be picked up, or you have to find out where at Malpensa you need to be standing in order to catch their shuttle). A taxi from Milan and even from Malpensa airport to a so-called "airport" hotel can be annoyingly expensive.

My advice? Stay at a hotel right near the station and take the bus in the morning. Tripadvisor can point you toward good hotels. Use the HolidayCity website to see if you can get a good rate on a highly convenient modern hotel like AC Milan. (The later you book, the more likely you are to snag a great discount.)

My advice
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 02:57 PM

Scusi -- I meant to type that buses and trains to the airport are up and running by FIVE AM from Milano proper to Malpensa.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 03:33 PM

Hello Irock, another alternative is the Malpensa Shuttle which is taken from the Centrale (Central) Train Station in Milan. Here us their website for your review and anyone else that might be interested.

http://www.malpensashuttle.it/e-default.htm
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The shuttle train service from Cadorna Nord station to Malpensa starts at 4:10 a.m., arrives 5:00 a.m. Very reliable.

http://www.lenord.it/en/index.php

I can also recommend the Villa Malpensa hotel at the airport. Their free shuttle starts at 5:00 a.m. and takes about 5 minutes.

http://www.hotelvillamalpensa.it/eng_index.html
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies. Stepsbeyond I am trying to get tickets for the Last Supper in advance but am having no luck. Apparently Vivaticket is handling the reservations but when I spoke to the person this morning, they have only been authorized to book January at this time. She said to try calling a little later. I am beginning to think that I will not be able to book until March 1. We leave March 12 so I will keep trying. I know I can book a tour, but I really dont want to do that unless i have no other choice. We can fly into Milan that Friday March 26 or very early March 27. It just depends on if I get tickets. We will be on Sicily to see where my husbands grandfather grew up and meet family so I wanted to stay the 26th if we could. However, we do both want to see the Last Supper so we'll see.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 07:53 AM

Consider using Select Italy for your tickets (selectitaly.com). Check out their website. I think that you will have a better chance of getting tickets and they are more organized with their information. Yes, they do add a service charge but it's worth it to have a sure thing.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Lynn,
I looked at SelectItaly but decided against because I saw a thread where some people had some issues with them and not getting their tickets. Were you aable to select a time and actually get that time and all went smoothly? Do you get the tickets in Milan? Thank you for your help. Is Austin where you are from? We are leaving from Houston.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 09:18 AM

No, I'm not from Austin.
I have always had nothing but good experiences with Selectitaly. The last time we went to Milan we tried and tried to get tickets through the official website- sold out. I tried Select Italy and they were also sold out but they gave us the option to be on a wait list. Two weeks before we left they sent an email that they had received more tickets. We jumped on those. The tickets that we received were e tickets. I just printed them on the computer and took the page along, no problem.
I have also used Ticket Italy with good results.
At the very least, I think it would be worth your while to call or send them an email. Put the tickets on a credit card (if there is a problem then you won't be stuck). You can continue to check the official ticket issuer but it is a new one and they seem to have some "start-up' problems.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Update:
I should mention that we have used Ticket Italy the most (their prices are usually better). They also issue an e-ticket.
No matter where you select the tickets are hard to get. There were many people waiting to see about "no-shows" last year in early April. No one got in this way. It is well worth whatever you have to pay. Good luck!
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I will look at both. It is one of my must do things if i can. I just booked my Venice B&B today. I can't wait !!!!!!!!
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Pay attention as the first connection from Cadorna station to Malpensa at 4.10 am is operated by bus not by train.
Normally the first connection by train is at 5.57 am with arrival in 40 minutes (not suitable for your flight). It's better to enjoy your night in Milan, stay in Hotel near the Cental Station and tak the 4.30 am direct bus to MXP. Taxi is ok but far more expensive (70 euro compared to 15).
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 01:35 AM

the taxi will cost you about 90 euros or more now. the bus is cheaper but there can be traffic hold ups. the train is a better bet if you want to be 100% sure of getting there on schedule.