Ireland on our own

Search

Ireland on our own

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland on our own

I am thinking of booking a trip to Ireland for Feb, My husband and I have already seen Southern Ireland and now want to explore Northern Ireland. We have 8 days to explore. Any suggestions of what we should see? All will be appreciated.
Jnet56
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:02 PM
P_M

We really enjoyed the drive from Belfast along the coast to Portrush. Along the way we stopped at the Rope Bridge, which might be closed in the winter. We also saw the Giant's causeway, which was really intersting. We then spent a couple of days in Portrush. We drove one day to Antrim and did a bit of hiking there, but again that might not be something you will enjoy in February.

I hope someone else will come through with more ideas for what to see in the winter. As you have probably guessed, I was there in the warmer season. Just for me personally, I would postpone the trip until May if there's any way possible. I think it would be more enjoyable then, but of course, Ireland is still beautiful year round.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 04:17 AM

We went last year in late February. We had gorgeous sunshine and mild temperatures by Wisconsin standards! We did a couple days in Connemara, drove up to Donegal for a night (wish we had stayed there longer) and then over to the Antrim coast where P M talks about. We were all alone at the Giant's Causeway--there are lots of good reasons to travel during the offseason, not the least of which are mpt crowds and the trip costs about 1/2 the price. We also spent one night at Castle Leslie in County Monaghan, which was very different and very memorable. So we did all kinds of different stuff, and in those areas during the off season there are simply no tourists, which I enjoy. It was a great trip.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 11:18 AM

two recommendations: first, if you have not already been to Donegal, and since you have 8 days, I would consider going there for one or two nights. Stay in Rathmullen if you can - beautiful beaches and great people (even in February they will look nice although I wouldn't recommend packing your bathing suit). Second, in Antrim I agree the northern coast rivals anything in the Republic. B&B - definately stay at Bushmills Inn. It is the best b&b I have stayed in, North or South. Everything about it was first rate especially the dinners. Feb is a good time to go in terms of no crowds and much better rates on everything.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:54 AM

Carrick-a-rede rope bridge is closed in the winter, but the drive up (or down) the Antrim Coast Road is still well worth it. I'd also spend a day in Belfast, and do the Black Taxi tour; as well as a day in Derry and do the city walls tour.

There are several good postings on what to see and do in Northern Ireland. Try a search, and then I could answer any specific questions you might have.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:30 AM

Hello,

Portrush is a good suggestion for a base to take in the sites of the North. But don't miss the Northwest.

My wife and I spent three weeks in Northern Ireland in February two years ago. About 1/2 of what we would have liked to see was closed, but the other 1/2 kept us very busy.

The highlight for us was spending a week in Enniskellen in County Fermanagh. Lakes, mountains, seashore and everything in between. Do do the North, but don't miss the Northwest.

P.S. We found Belfast skipable or at best a day or so.

Have a great trip.