Milan Airport Hotel

Search

Milan Airport Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milan Airport Hotel

Our Alitalia flight arrives at Milan early morning (end of December). Instead of catching our connecting flight, 2 hors later, we plan to stay a day in Milan and catch our next flight the next morning.

BTW, that would cost us an extra $100 + tax, for whatever illogical reason... You think Alitalia would rather have us STAY on Italian soil, spend some money there, wouldn't you?...

We are interested in an inexpensive, simple, yet clean airport hotel, so we can easilly get back to the airport the next morning. Wouldn't like to pay more than $100 for that night.

...Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Hotel Cervo (www.hotelcervo.it) is a five minute ride from Terminal 1. They have a shuttle van that takes you from hotel to terminal (and back) for 3€. Ugly outside, nice business class inside with decent breakfast. I just paid 62€ for a single. Would defiitly stay there again if I needed a hotel close to the airport (I assume you are talking about Malpensa, Milan has another airport but most transatlantic flights go to Malpensa).

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 10:35 AM

I too can vouch for Hotel Cervo..stayed there two years ago and it was a reasonably priced, very clean, well located (for Malpensa airport) hotel. I believe our rate even included a continental breakfast.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 10:55 AM
GAC

Another vote for the Cervo. Bring reading materials (or be prepared to watch TV), as there's nothing to do in the vicinity, and nowhere to walk.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 11:50 AM

how early is your flight? ours was at 10am and it was worthy staying in Milan (hotel speronari, $88 clean with private bath right by the duomo) and taking the express bus to the airport at 8 in the morning!
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody....

Yes it is the Malpensa. And our next flight leaves around 10:30 am.

I hate rushing in the morning, and so I'd rather stay in the airport area.

Still have few questions:

Getting out of the airport at around 8 am, after an all-night flight, how far is Milan from Malpensa?

And how would you suggest we spend the day there? I am traveling with my 20 year old daughter, who is intersted in Milan as the "FASHION capital of the world"... I guess, being a bit tired and under a jet lag, we would be less interested in the Duomo, or museums... So, is there such a place like a designer center there?

Also, what good, reasonable restaurant would you suggest?

And how do we get back to the airport, or the hotel nearby?

Thanks much for our help!
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 05:23 AM

Getting to Milan from the airport (and back again) is very easy. There are two different bus lines that run shuttles. They leave every few minutes and take about an hour and cost €4.50. You buy the ticket from the bus driver. Comfortable and with AC. These take you to Milan Centrale train station and from there you can take the metro to where ever you want to go. They leave from right outside the arrivals doors in Terminal 1.

If you want to go directly to the Duomo area there is an express train. GAC will probably answer this question too, but if not click on his name, as he has wonderful detailed information on all this.

I repeat my suggestion to stay at the Cervo for ease of getting to the airport the next morning. Make sure you get there at least two hours before flight time. I have never seen such a crowded airport. I got there at 8:15 for a 10:30 flight and had no time to spare. This was a couple of weeks ago.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.

I will dosome more research about Milan.

But I'd be very grateful to read some ideas about how to spend the one day in Milan, the two tired of us jet-lagged, after a long flight, with my daughter, interested in fashion...
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:58 AM

In early August I did a one day in Milan before my flight out the next morning. I was returning from Bellagio, arrived at Milan airport about 10 a.m., got a shuttle to my hotel to check in and leave luggage, took the shuttle back to the airport and got on the bus to Milan (4.5 euro). (I understand that others who were staying at a different hotel near the airport, came back to the airport and got the train with a ticket which included their travel by metro in Milan.)

I had tickets to the Last Supper but other than that my interest was shopping.

If your daughter is specifically interested in designer shops then I'd head directly for Via della Spiga--I believe the largest number of designer shops are on this street. (I got distracted so long at Prada and Sermoneta that I didn't get into that many of them.) (By the way, this was a Saturday morning. I understand stores are closed on Sunday and also on Monday.) Bia della Spiga, Via Sant Andrea and Via Monte Napoleone are all together and collectively most of the designer stores will be here--ctually several different stores of each designer.

The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele is also a great place to go--both for the shops and for being amazed at the wonderfully ornate shopping area. (And, if you do decide you want to see the Duomo it is very nearby.)

I also spent some time in the large department store the name of which escapes me at the moment but which has a great Furla collection along with others.

I'm now figuring out to get back to Milan with my daughter as I know we could do some serious shopping.

Hope you have fun.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!