Michelin maps--what's up?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in the Loire and in Normandy this year. As I was looking at my wonderful old Michelin maps of these places from previous trips, I realized that they are pretty old, such that I might be missing highways, etc. built since I bought them in 2001 and earlier. Went to my Barnes and Noble for new ones--and I'm not happy with what seems to have happened in the last 5 years or so.

What I found were maps of different colors (old--yellow, new--orange), different numbers (old 231, new 513 for Normandy e.g.), different scale (old 1 cm: 2 km, new 1 cm: 2.75 km) and worst of all less detail on the new--small roads no longer included, some towns eliminated, and the underlining of town and place names that appear in the red guide for cross-referencing also eliminated, not to mention the loss of countless symbols showing, for instance, the stray castle here and there.

I've gone on Amazon.com and viamichelin.com in hope that I might find that the old maps with larger scale and more detail are still being made so that I might order them but have been unable to find an answer to my quest. I'm hopeful that maybe they are still available in France but I'm worried that the wonderful old maps I have may be the last of their kind.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know where I can find Michelin maps in the 200 series with 1 cm: 2 km scale still available. I would be most appreciative of any help you can give me in this matter, which for not only me but plenty of other folks on this site, may be serious indeed. Thank you.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:30 AM

Doubt that you will find the 200 series maps any more - they replaced them with the 500 series maps a few years ago. Both of these maps were on the scale of 1/200,000.

The 300 series maps are the best ones to get, IMO. Most are in the 1/150,000 scale, but some are 1/175,000. There is also a city index, which the 200 series maps don't have.

All the 300 series maps I have (about 25 or so), have castles, ruins, etc. indicated on the map. If you are just traveling in Normandy, the 303 map should do. 317 & 318 cover the Loire Chateau country. There is probably a 500 series map that covers all the Loire region, but I like the 1/150,000 scale so I don't have to squint.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:33 AM

I'm not a Michelin map expert, but last time I needed to buy one in France (last summer), I got the green one, you might check that one out. It definitely had more detail than the Orange, as I recall and that's why I bought it. It may cover a smaller area (I guess it would have to if the scale differed), I seem to recall that. I know I needed a map that would show the TGV station in Valence where I needed to drop off my rental car, and I think the green one did but not the orange. The green map scale is only 1 cm to 1 km.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:35 AM

oh, I think the green maps series numbers are in the 100s
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:37 AM

Have you looked on Ebay?
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:41 AM

Another vote for the 300-series. If you can't find them before you go to France, you'll likely see them on sale in places like book stores, souvenir shops, and tabacs. They're easily recognizable; they have the map number in the upper left hand corner, as well as the word "Local" beside it. The covers are yellow with an ochre band across the front.

Wonderful detail, as Stu points out.

Anselm
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:44 AM

There are only a few green series 100 maps. 115 for the Alps Maritimes, 114 for the Var (both scale 1/100,000, and more roads than the 500 or 300 series maps), 113 for Provence (scale 1/160,000), and 196 for Environs of Paris 1/100,000. There may be a few others.

Many people have contacted me about the 113 map, and it seems to have been discontinued by Michelin. I think the 114 & 115 may be discontinued also - can't understand why - they are great maps

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:49 PM

That's really a shame. I see I had best hold on to our "old" maps and am glad we bought them before the changeover.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:36 PM
DiG

Hi JulieVikmanis:

I bought "The Green Guide - Normandy" book for research and also the Red "512 Regional Normandie" map.

We're taking the 512 with us. It's very detailed but to a point where I need a magnifying glass to read the smaller roads. The sights don't jump out at you when you look at it. The scale is 1/200 000, 1cm: 2km.

I wasn't able to find any that could be read more easily but at least we'll have directions!

Good luck, Happy Tarvels,
Di
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:59 AM

Hi

Worth saying that some of these out of print maps are available used from amazon.

Check here : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/languedoc-books4.htm

Peter
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:09 AM

Yes indeed, Julie, I know the problem.
I have the entire series, and when I went to buy a replacement, I ended up taping up the old one, because the the classic Michelin "yellow" map, with a scale of 1/200000 (1cm = 2km)is no longer in print. However, some suppliers have the "orange" Michelin Maps available in their archives with the 200,000 scale. Inquires should be made, especially by phone or email prior to purchase.

There are several choices to examine:

1. Try some of the
Great Britain map stores, by simply Googling Michelin 1:200,000 Map Series.
I did have luck with one that had older archives of maps.

2. Buy the Michelin "Atlas", which has all of France in the 1:200,000 scale of the maps that have been eliminated. It is only $25.00.

http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/store..._id=2067118765

3. Try this site: http://atb.away.com/atb/booklist.tcl...dentifier=5077

4. Buy an IGN Map in the 1:150,000 scale. I did that for the Aquitaine area maps. I was pleased with some of the benefits of the IGN map, but again as you mentioned, some of the small villages and other things are still not shown.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Orval, thanks so much for all the good ideas on how to deal with this "problem"
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 08:25 AM

DiG:

Suggestion for eliminating the need for a magnifying glass--get a pair of drugstore bifocals with clear glass on top and a reading magnification on the bottom. Mine are tinted and so serve also as sunglasses in the car.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 08:34 AM

I'm not sure what the problem is. We live in France, and have used, for the last few years, since they came out, the yellow 300 series, which are normally 1 cm: 1.75 and still have symbols for chateaux, windmills, 'points de vue', etc. In fact we went to South Africa this winter, where unfortunately the Michelin man has not yet been, and kept getting lost because the maps were so bad. Not what we're used to at all! I wouldn’t rely on old maps, as around here at least (Dordogne) there has been autoroute construction, which is worth knowing about, and some road numbers have also changed - also worth knowing. The yellow 300 series is certainly available everywhere in France.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Carlux, thanks. Sounds like waiting until I get there might be my best (or at least easiest) bet.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 09:01 AM

>>Sounds like waiting until I get there might be my best (or at least easiest) bet.<<

Why not order them from Maptown before you depart???.

Before we leave the US for a trip to France, I get the 300 series maps & mark every scenic drive in the area (as suggested my the Michelin Green Guide) in either yellow or orange Magic Marker. I circle every town I want to stop & explore in red. I mark every town that has a restaurant I might want to check-out in blue, and I mark castles, gardens, caves, etc in green. Then I develop a "plan" for various day-trips than encompasses as many of these things that I can comfortably fit into a day without too much driving.

This is the way I've been "doing it" for over 20 years, and since we retired early in '99 - we spend about 2 months each year in France exploring different areas.

Some people may think this is over-planning - I call it "being prepared".

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Stu, I love your approach. Actually I'm in the midst of doing something very similar right now--though your use of multiple colors is a distinct improvement that I'll be taking up immediately. Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Julie, they are talking about the 300 series maps, and if they are good for you, buy them. However, you were correct in your initial posting, the 200 series maps are now 500 series, and are not the same scale. If you are interested in getting a large area for your maps similar to the old 200 series, use my suggestions. Get them prior to going without a doubt. Although Michelin maps of many styles are even available at Total gas stations along the autoroute, it is best to purchase and review them prior to the trip. I use a concept similar to Stu's, and love to pour over the maps to find the references and note same.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

All's well that ends well. I went outlet mall shopping today (a guilty pleasure I indulge in when my husband goes off on business trips) and stopped into the Books-a-Million store to see what kind of travel section they have. There in glorious splendor was a yellow Michelin France Tourist and Motoring Atlas 1 cm=2 km scale, 2006 edition for $25. The clerk opened a free account for me with a 10% discount on my purchases and I essentially got it for <$20. No ordering, no waiting, no fuss, no muss no bother and I'm about to sit down to a pleasant evening of itinerary plotting. Thanks all for your commiserations and recommendations.