What map(s) do I need

Search

What map(s) do I need

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What map(s) do I need

I'll be driving from Tours toward Azay-le-Rideaux & then on to Mt St Michel. From there I'll drive to Caen. I know I'll need some good maps but I'm not sure which ones. Parts of this route seem to be on several different maps. Anybody have any advice? Thanks.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Mimmel:

Rather than get the Michelins that you have to refold and fold again, etc, I always suggest the very handy American Map Company "Euroatlas" for France..it's a much smaller atlas than the Michelin Atlas for France...easy to use, not quite as detailed as the Michelins..but excellent. Any good map store or the bookstores have them..red cover. So much more handy to use.
Stu T.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:50 PM

In the Michelin map series you would want one for the Loire Valley and then the one for Normandy.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:30 PM

Go on the Internet to Via Michelin and get maps/directions from door to door if you know where you are going from/to. We found them invaluable this month in Spain. These are specific and are great if you are travelling say from one hotel to the next (or you can enter 'centre of town' for the address).
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Mimmel

In 2004 I drove all over France for 6 weeks relying only on a Euromap 1:800,000 scale. It's very reliable and accurate.

Perhaps consider getting a GPS for your rental car if you are still not confident.

Enjoy the drive!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. SWAGMAN -- is the EUROMAP the same as the EUROATLAS? If not, who publishes it?
I'm fairly comfortable getting directions from the internet, but I want to allow for some spontaneity. If we decide to take a scenic detour, I want to be able to navigate my way back. With Michelin maps, I have a choice between the Regional & the Local versions. I would think that the local provides more detail. Does it? I won't be able to look at them before I buy, because I can't find them in any local store, so I'll have to order them.
Thanks
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 01:29 AM

Mimmel

I think the publishing company is called GeoCentre, a German company.

S