Marais Apt. Your input please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at vrbo.com/74504. Has anyone rented this apartment or have any comments on it?
Thanks!
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM

It looks like a nice apartment and the price is fair. Two things I would think about: why are the "toilets" not in the bathroom? Would you mind that? No sink? And with a washer, in Paris, where they aren't that hard to find in your price range, I would want a dryer.

I have recently stayed in the neighborhood, off rue Rambuteau, and loved it. Great food shops and more.

I guess I would also like a picture of the bathroom. The photo of the washer gives a really limited idea of what the bathroom is like.

All in all, and for the price, if the above things aren't a concern to you, it seems very nice.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:27 PM

It is very common for the toilet not to be in the same room as the bathroom. The apartment we rent has a separate "water closet", the toilet in a very tiny closet.

Newer washing machines in France extrude so much water from the clothes that they are barely damp when the cycle ends and dry quickly.

It looks like the washing machine is in the bathroom. You can see a sink. I would want to see a photo of the shower, too. Some of those showers are the size of upright caskets!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:23 AM

We stayed in this apartment this past June, and it was great for us (myself, husband, and 11 year-old son).

Indeed, the toilet (called a WC in France) is in its own separate room off the dining room. The bathroom itself is very large, with a large tub/shower combination, sink, and washer/dryer. The washer/dryer is one machine,and the clothes come out damp. There are huge closets in the bedroom with lots of hangers, so you can hang them up to dry. The apartment has excellent cross ventilation, so we found it to work out fine.

The bed is extremely comfortable, and it really is queen-sized. If you are using the extra bed, it's a regular metal fold-out cot with a mattress on top, also very comfortable. (It might be a little small for a large adult.)

We found the neighborhood to be great, and convenient to everything we wanted to see in Paris. In between the apartment and the nearest metro stop (Rambuteau) is rue Rambuteau, one of those streets where the food just throws itself at you. There are amazing take-away shops, bakeries, produce stands, a liquor store, plus a regular grocery store-- you'll find everything you need a short walk from the apartment. The apartment is a short walk from the Pompidou Center, the Picasso Museum, the Jewish History Museum, and the heart of the Marais neighborhood. A slightly longer stroll will take you to the Seine, Notre Dame, Ile St. Louis, St. Chappelle and BHV department store. Everything else is easily accessible by Metro.

This apartment worked out great for us; we thought it was an excellent value and a great location for our visit to Paris. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:46 AM

that is very typical in french apartments to have the toilet in a separate, small room.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It looks very nice. The location is good, and you have a really good review from Strad.

Not quite sure what tuscanlifeedit means about the toilet. That is a very normal set up. In fact more than half the flats I've rented in Paris and London have had separate wc's. And combo washer/dryers are much more common than separate washing and drying machines.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your input; it's particularly good to hear from someone who's already stayed there. Makes me really want to take the apartment, but since my original correspondence with the owner, some of the time we wanted has been booked and they only have a week and a day available in the middle of our 2 week Paris stay, so we'd have to move twice. I guess I'll keep looking and remember this one for next time.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:44 AM

bkmg
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:13 AM

Sorry, don't know this apartment.
We are renting an apartment for 8 nights in late Feb 08. The company name is parisperfect.com and so far it has been a delight working them. You might want to check out their site also.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:27 AM

I think it looks good enough and is a good location. It is very common for toilets to be in other rooms (I don't personally like that as much, but it is commone). I think it has to do with plumbing reasons, in older apts.

You might question that mention of two small "folding beds", whatever that means, if you intend more than two people to sleep in there. That sounds like cots or something. I notice there are no photos of a living room, so suspect there isn't one and it's really a studio. It kind of sounds like that. That's a good size for a studio, so for one-two people, it should be fine.

Lots of French apts don't have dryers, unfortunately, it is quite common. I don't do laundry much so that wouldn't bother me, but it is inconvenient if you intend to do laundry other than underwear or light things.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Christina: The OP has moved on. The flat is not available for their dates . . . .