Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please assist in selecting Paris apartment

Jul 6th, 2006, 08:58 PM
kdm
Original Poster

I am finding out that selecting an apartment is so much more difficult than selecting hotel due to the available hotel reviews. So I appreciate any and all help you can give me.

Please look at the following apartments I have identified through parisianflat.com and let me know if you and anyone you know have stay there and would they recommend them or just your opinion.

vrbo.com/69297
vrbo.com/56453
vrbo.com/92761

The reasons why I selected these places are there are 6 of traveling (1 of which is my grandson who is a toddler) so we need space, and the master bedrooms have a king bed (husband is 6'6").

I really would have enjoyed staying at one of the Paris Perfect properties, but we are only going to stay in Paris for 4 nights and they have a min of a week.

My daughter used to have such a nice marche near her home when she lived in Lyon. So if you are familiar with these areas and there is a marche near by that would be a plus.

I have read so many warnings about apartments that I truly respect any guidance you can give me. Thank you.

I did do a search on Fodors for one of the hotels but unfortunately it was a pre-trip report.
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:52 PM
jgg

We stayed in the second one (on rue de Villersexel) this past March. We were 6 people as well. My husband and I, my mom and dad and our kids (ages 10 and 13). Sophie and Philippe from Parisianflat were great to work with. The apartment was very nice and had plenty of room for all six of us. The pullout sofa in the living room, where the kids slept, was very nice - I think it was fairly new and VERY easy to open and close. I was able to do it all by myself.

We didn't use the kitchen for anything but making tea and eating croissants and cereal for breakfast but it appeared to be fairly well equipped. The washer and dryer were VERY nice to have.

There is a dining room which we didn't use, but was great for storing the luggage.

It was well located on a quiet street but just half a block from Blvd. St. Germain and the Solferino Metro stop.

One of the reasons we chose it was for the king size bed as well - my husband is 6' 2".

It appears as though one of the apts. you listed is located near the Luxembourg gardens, that might be a plus with your grandson.

Sorry, I don't know what a marche is.
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM

Hi

If you want space this apartment looks wonderful - http://www.world-world.com/site/user...=118&ad_id=458

Au revoir
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:33 PM

kdm, if it were me, I would take jgg's recommendation. It isn't often that you get a personal recommendation, especially one that is so glowing and detailed.
Your family makeup and needs are so similiar.

We'e had about 9 different apartments in Paris, and some pretty awful, try as I could I was never able to 'talk' to someone who had stayed in any of them, before renting it. - I'd jump on it, but that's me.

By marche, do you mean is there a large food market nearby? I know the area, but never having stayed there, I can be of any help. There are Monoprix, the larger ones have food, just like a US supermarket, and Franprix everywhere, so that shouldn't be any problem.

Nina
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:47 PM

P.S. I forgot to mention that the apartment is gorgeous.

Nina
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:12 AM
jgg

If you did mean market, there is a "8 et huit" - (8 to 8) market about two blocks away. The name implies that it is supposed to be open from 8 to 8 - alas this is not necessarily so, however there was another market a little further away, but not too far. Most of this info. was listed in a book at the apt.
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:37 AM
kdm
Original Poster

Thank you for your feedback. jgg I saw a previous post b/4 you took your trip and glad you had a good experience. I am thinking of the Luxembourg gardens property because my husband runs in the morning. Were the beds comfortable?

worldinabag this is the property I liked for space:

vrbo.com/87454

Nina66 trust me, I do appreciate a personal reference. I have read about some experiences and I do not want to be another victim of misrepresentation. Marche is market, but I was thinking about the outside market near her place. It was so nice and everything was fresh. Once I get the place reserved I guess I can research where to buy the best food.

Thx again I really appreciate everyone
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:39 AM

They all look snazzy. Given that the second has a personal Fodorite rec, I'd go with that one. It's the largest. Plus, in one of the bathrooms it has a shower stall with a full length door. The first apartment has a corner shower with no door or curtain, so you'd have to be careful to avoid slopping water around.
The third apartment also looks nice, but it is the smallest.
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM

We have used Vacation Homes Abroad several times and they have been wonderful.
They are located in Rhode Island.
We stayed in this apartment on Rue St Antoine and loved it:
http://vacationhomesabroad.com/listi....php?listid=58
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:41 PM

kdm, marche/market ..so sorry, I was thinking like an American (which of course I am) and should have known that you were thinking like the French.

Enjoy your apartment which ever one you choose

Nina
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:12 AM
jgg

<<Were the beds comfortable?>>

I can sleep on (almost) anything, but my husband is much more particular. He rated the beds as a 6 (scale of 1-10). Sllightly above average.

I did not notice an open market near by, although there was a great bakery just down the block on Blvd. St. Germain.
Jul 8th, 2006, 08:51 AM
kdm
Original Poster

Continued appreciation for all the posts. jgg I am leaning more to the one that you stayed at vs the Luxembourg gardens property, because in the back of my mind I agree with BTilke's statement.

I do appreciate the feedback on the beds. My best bed yet was in Sao Paulo at the Unique hotel - it got a 10 out 10 vs a Florence hotel that got a 1 out of 10.

Now I am waiting to see if the property is available and if they send a layout of the property. For some reason it does not show up on the web-site as the Luxembourg gardens property.

Now back to the London threads. Thx again to all.
Aug 17th, 2006, 01:46 PM

I am looking at staying at the Rue de Villersexel apartment next year. Have you stayed there yet? I have not been able to get a response from Parisian Flat from my enquiries. I presume they are all away for their August Holidays.