Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Maitaitom Sobers Up: Would Appreciate Switzerland Ideas

Jun 26th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I have made plans for four days in Switzerland (two at Hotel Masson in Montreux and two at Hotel Gletschergarten in Grindelwald) before we were to head to Venice (driving).

Since we are ending our trip in Colle di Buggiano and then the Cinque Terre, we decided to bypass Venice this trip (been there and will return) to cut out extra driving (if I want to drive eight hours, it will be to the supernarket here in L.A.)

This gives us three extra days in Switzerland/No. Italy. Right now, I am leaning toward an extra day in Grindelwald (extra hiking and relaxing) and then a couple of days in Lugano area exploring the castles in Bellinzona and other places.

I am pretty ignorant about this area. Where would you suggest I stay ($100 - 175, hopefully with lake view), and beside the Bellinzona castles what other activities make Lugano area special to you? I will go to Google to explore, but comments from people who have visited are appreciated.

Merci. Grazie. Thanks.
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:36 AM
jmw

I'll let others recommend hotels for Lugano, but I can encourage you to walk to S. Maria degli Angioli church to see the wonderful frescos. And if you've time for a lakeboat, Morcote and Gandria are picturesque. By the way, I think your itinerary is great, busy but great! J.

Jun 26th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

"busy but great!"

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even tell you that our first four days are split between Mosel River area and Alsace. My wife is a trouper (heck we're from L.A., so driving in Europe is a joy), but since Switzerland isn't usualy a place on my itinerary, I thought we should see more of it while we're there.
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:53 AM
jmw

Stop, you're making me dizzy. Alsace is wonderful (try their onion pie), as I am sure the Mosel is too. How will your senses ever absorb all of this? No matter, go for it. But promise to return to your favorites at a slower pace. J.

Jun 26th, 2003, 11:59 AM

Hey Tom, I like your fallback plan. You will like that area. In Lugano, I suggest a place called Villa Nizza--you will find it with a search. However, since you have a car I really like a small hotel on the north shore of Lago Lugano--halfway to Mennagio--and in Italy--called Stella d' Italia. The village is San Mamete in an area called Valsolda. You can find it under that name at the Karenbrown.com site also. It is only :20 from Lugano and is one of my favs--has good food too.
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. I went to Stella d' Italia website. It certainly looks like a place we would like. Quick question if I may (well I guess I may because there is no one here to stop me); could you give me a little description of San Mamete? Is it a town that you can walk around or would most of the things we do in th area be by car or by ferry (I think I saw there was a ferry stop nearby). Thanks again.
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Hi Tom

My husband and I stayed at the Feisherblick in Grindelwald several years ago. It's very close to the Gletschergarten. Heads up: the lovely little church pictured in the background on the Gletshergarten's web site had bells that rang every 15 minutes day and night. Take some earplugs!
Jun 27th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads (or should I say ears) up. I have stayed at hotels near church bells and for some reason that sound doesn't bother me at night. However if the sink is dripping, watch out. Any Lugano area buffs who can provide valued info on the area, please respond. Thanks.
Jun 27th, 2003, 08:56 AM

Tom, San Mamete is very small--no real shops but a cute local bar. There is some cool hiking up to the path and to the church above town, but the real answer is that the local ferry boat stops at the boat dock of the hotel and takes you to Lugano and the other villages on the Lake east of Lugano.
Mennagio is :20 east--Lugano :20 west.
The hotel is popular with people that book there every year for a long stay.
The Ortelli family are very helpful, and the food is above average.
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

"but a cute local bar."

Bob, how did you know that might appeal to me? Thanks for the info. It sounds just what we're looking for. I am e-mailing them today.
Jun 29th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Bob, I was able to book two nights at Stella d"Italia. Thanks again for the info. Hopefully the weather gods will be with us in September for our Switzerland portion of the trip.
Jun 29th, 2003, 10:41 AM

Great Tom. You will like it. Be sure to tell me if they are still up to snuff. I think the son runs it now.