Reload this Page >

OK PLEASE TELL ME THE TRUTH ABOUT SWITZERLAND

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:24 PM
Buzzy

My huband is keen on Switzerland for our annual 3 week break next summer. We would like to visit lake Geneva near Montreaux at the end of July and beginning of August. we are on a budget and usually hire self catering gites in France. we are looking to go self catering in Switzerland also maybe only eating out a handful of times.

While researching this I am constantly coming up with info. about how Switzerland is really expensive for accomodation and food. In fact many websites are calling it the most expensive place in the world to visit. Other information suggests that health cover is not there via the usual E111 system we have in europe( I am from England) and that if you go walking you can be subject to infections from tics. this is all beginning to put me off the idea of visiting what looks to be a beautiful country.

Can anyone put me straight about what I have read and let be know their own experiences? I have just made an enquiry about a property 10kms from Vevey and I'd like some feedback before I go ahead. Thanks.

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"...if you go walking you can be subject to infections from tics."

I have gone to Switzerland the past 10 summers, and I have never come home with a tic infection. In fact, the only infection you may get is one that will keep calling you back to visit year after year!

I'm not sure what "gites" is, but if you are looking for, perhaps, an apartment or chalet, there are those aplenty. And yes, the price is MUCH cheaper (like half) than a hotel. Most cities have sites with all the info listed; for example, grindelwald.com, although I know that's not where you're looking, has listings for hundreds of such places. I'm sure Montreux or Geneva are the same.

Happy travels!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:46 PM

We will shortly be departing on a trip that encompasses Germany, Switzerland, Italy and the UK. Our anticpated costs (based on research plus previous experience from a similar trip in 2002) indicate that the *overall* "costs of living while travelling" in each country are very similar.

Switzerland is a wonderful place to visit. Enjoy your holiday!

Cheers,

Bill
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:49 PM

Switzerland is expensive but not over-priced, if that makes any sense. And it is certainly not as expensive as, say, London. Generally the cities and resort areas are higher priced than the smaller towns and villages. Self-catering is a great way to go.

As for the ticks, I've spent a total of six weeks walking in Switzerland, and have never seen one, nor did I know they are there. So I looked in my Lonely Planet book, and it says "Ticks are found throughout Switzerland, up to an altitute of 1200 meters." All the hiking paths we like are well above that elevation.

My husband was reluctant to visit Switzerland with me because he, too, feared the expense. He was very pleasantly surprised; I planned the last trip around lower-budget places and he is now a big Switzerland fan like me. We're going back next summer.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 03:00 PM

I was able to find a range of reasonably priced hotels in Muerren, but I certainly could have done better had I done self-catering. As I recall, food costs were comparable to what I paid on the Isle of Skye (where I did self cater). Unlike some other destinations, the cuisine of Switzerland is not so desirable you'll feel you're missing out if you cook most of your own meals.

What would have saved me money personally is if I had done more research into the available railpasses. Without them, you can spend far more than you need to.

Hope that helps! Switzerland is a fantastic destination.

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 03:44 PM

We found Switzerland cheaper than London, Venice, or Rome...enjoy the villages which are, IMO, the best part of Switzerland, and you won't blow your budget. DO rent a flat/chalet; more space and cheaper. Write to the town's tourist office and they'll send you info. Try the "MySwitzerland" web site too.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Buzzy -

Switzerland is expensive, but less expensive than London and IMO a much better value.

I've visited Switzerland several times, and I like to include prices in my trip reports for future reference.

Here's a sampling of some of those prices:

Glass of local wine – 3.50 CHF
Bottle of wheat beer – 7 CHF
Plate of rosti with ham, cheese and egg – 18 CHF
Large individual pizza – 12 CHF and up
Cheese fondue for one – 22 CHF
Three course set menu lunch - 15 CHF
Ice cream dessert in restaurant – 7-10 CHF
After dinner drink in hotel, bar or restaurant – 8 CHF and up

On average, we spend 40-65 CHF for a moderate dinner for two with drinks.

Self catering -

Large Lindt chocolate bar at grocery store - 1.80 CHF
1.5 liter of water at grocery store -.95 CHF
Big bag of gummy bears at grocery store - 2.30 CHF
Bottle of local wine at a grocery store – 5 CHF and up
16 oz bottle of soda at a grocery store – 1.25 CHF

Internet access – 5 CHF per 15-20 minutes

Three star hotel in the low season – 90-107 per person, per day including breakfast
Half board supplement – 30-35 CHF per person, per day

Four night stay in Wengen apartment including visitor's tax and cleaning fee (no service) - 425 CHF (off season)

Apartment in Zermatt during lowest season, no service - 95 CHF per night (such a deal!)

Attended left luggage at Zurich airport – 5 CHF per bag, per day

Wash and fold at Murren laundry – 25 CHF per load (ouch!)

Never had a problem with ticks in Switzerland and we hike alot.

Hope this helps give you an idea anyway.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have visited Vevey/Montreux 5 times over the past ten years (4 x in July/August, 1 x in November) & stay with a friend who lives there.

As long as you can find an apartment you'll be OK. The produce, cheese, dried meats, eggs, bread, etc. you can buy from the local weekly farmers' street markets are exceptional quality and a great bargain. The Migros grocery store has a fine selection of anything you could need. Meat/poultry is expensive but everything else I found comparable to home (U.S.). Local Swiss-made wines are fantastic and a very good price.

Don't know anything about tics or health insurance. Never heard anything of a problem to that effect.

The people I know actually living in Switzerland all make fun of how expensive London is!!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM

Migros is your best friend if you are travelling on a budget in Switzerland. You can get just about anything you need there (foodwise). It's great if you're planning on taking relatively long train trips - easy snack food.

Switzerland is an expensive country, however it can be done cheaply - check out bed and breakfasts in a lot of the mountain towns, and consider getting a discount rail pass.

The tic infection is overblown. In 2 1/2 years of living there, and hiking extensivley, I have never received a tic bite. That said, don't wander too far off the trails, and wear bug spray just in case.

Oh and if you rent a flat/chalet, you can even prepare your own swiss food. Fondue and Raclette can be made relatively easily and inexpensively.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I broke my wrist in Murren last year & wound up in hospital in Interlaken. Nearly the first thing the ER nurse asked (after starting an IV for painkillers) was for my form E110 (I think that was the number). I have an English accent but have lived in the US for years, so didn't have one, but sounds like you will be OK.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The truth?

You can get lousy weather and hardly see the mountains.

You can get incredible weather and become highly addicted to the country.

Restaurant prices are higher than the US.
Grocery prices are comparable to US prices.

The food served in restaurants is usually quite good. Sometimes the service, however, can be a bit rude.

The Swiss are quite aware of nutrition and you'll find salads and soups available everywhere. They've got great salad ready-to-serve salad dressings as well if you're self-catering.

Trains are on time. Everything works like a clock here.

They don't care if you're American, Australian, etc., unless you are an English teacher. Then some students prefer to be taught by British teachers rather than American.

Politics? They don't like Bush but neither does the rest of Europe.

Tics? Stay on the trails and you'll have no problems. There shouldn't be any tics in the higher elevations, it's more of a problem in the low lands.

If the weather is great, you'll love Switzerland. If it isn't, then go to the local church, admire the architecture and pray that the föhn will come. That's our mediterranean wind that brings in the good weather.

Or, follow the weather. Quite often it will be raining in the north of Switzerland and the sun will be shining in the south.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:50 PM
Buzzy

Thanks for all your replies. I will keep researching. One thing we both love whilst in France is lake swimming and we would intend to do that in lake Geneva. This is one reason why I was concerned about any insect bites as my husband has had a nasty reaction to them in the past.

How would you all rate the food there? What can I expect to see on the menu in a medium priced restaurant? What would you recommend? Thanks.

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 01:55 AM

As a general rule, ticks don't live in the regions >1000 m above sea level.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 02:29 AM

As for healthcare for British citizens, there is reciprocal agreement available for Switzerland if you carry the new European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which you can apply online at http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...avellers/fs/en
As the scope is limited and doesn't cover the full cost, you should also take out a holiday insurance (some waive the excess if you use EHIC).
Petrol is a lot cheaper (around 1.20 euro/litre compared to 1.35/1.40 euro in I, F and D).
If you work on the assumption that most things cost about 20% more in Switzerland than in France or Germany, you aren't too far wrong (much more in places like Zurich or Geneva).
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:12 AM

Buzzy,

I just came back from one week in Switzerland. I had to see a GP, brought my E111 card but had to pay CHF. He did issue me a receipt and told me I can get reimbursement from NHS.

We kept our costs to minimum--certainly comparable to other lower-cost destinations in Southern Europe or canary islands--by staying at a chalet, hardly dining out, not riding too much trains. We also enjoyed Migros and Co-op (fantastic store-baked bread), not to mention local cheese shops. Actually, we flew into Geneve (from London City, avoid Heathrow!), got good fare on Swiss Air. We also drove across the French border to stock up on some groceries.

I think summer is much better value as many places have peak season in winter for skiers. Latter half of August seems less expensive, but August seems to be wetter than July in my experience.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:27 AM

What you'll see on menus? Depends what kind of restaurant.

One good tip for lunch is to look for the small cafes that feature a "workmans lunch" special. You'll see a chalkboard outside with the daily offering listed. This will get you homecooking style at a good price. In Vevey it's easy to find these places. You pick which restaurant depending on the offering you want to try.

One thing I really enjoy is "filet de perche" which is for lack of a better description a fish & chips made with little fish fresh from the lake there. Cafes along the lakeside promonade, among others, serve this.

Other than that you'll see normal foods, soups, salads, sandwiches.

Also there are ethnic offerings like Italian, or middle-east type places.

Bakeries are great because besides excellent bread and pastries they also have sandwiches made up to-go.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:41 AM

^^ for buzzy
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Swiss food is delicious and diverse, mostly well prepared and fresh. We especially enjoyed the fondue, raclette and other cheese dishes, rosti potatoes, and all the ice cream and chocolate.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:59 PM

don't forget salet (sp?) they are little savory cheese pies sold warm or cold at street markets and bakeries as a breakfast or snack item.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Suze---is that Filet de Perche really a filet of the fish (i.e., no bones)? We'll be spending a night or two on Lac Leman on our next trip, so I too am curious about the food in this part of Switzerland. Fish from the lake sounds wonderful, but our daughter won't like it if it has lots of bones!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -