Honeymoon in Greece?

Jun 26th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Honeymoon in Greece?

Hi,
My fiance and I considering spending our honeymoon in Greece. We have never been to Europe and need all the help we can get. What is the best place/town/hotel to stay? Where are the best beaches? If we stay close to the beach, do we lose the opportunity to visit the sights? Are we close to other towns...can we travel from one to another without spending days travelling? We are looking for a honeymoon that is relaxing and romantic, as well as fun and exciting. We enjoy the beach as well as touring around town and seeing the sites. Please help. Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks.
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:15 PM

What month will you be going? How many nights? My 1st trip to Greece was probably what most people do on their 1st trip, 2 nights Athens, 3 nights Mykonos, 4 nights Santorini, last night Athens. It was also my 1st time to Europe. You would take a ferry from Athens to Mykonos, and then from Mykonos to Santorini, and the back to Athens. Check out www.ferries.gr for schedules. We didn't have a rental car, we took taxis around the islands, and did a few organized tours on Santorini. Definitely take a day trip to Delos from Mykonos. Santorini is very romantic. Mykonos has a reputation for being a party island, but you definitely can stay away from that if you want. Naxos sounds wonderful, you could add that if you have time. Do a search there are many good threads on these islands. Here's a very good one on Santorini hotels:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34417266
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for your response. We are planning to go at the end of April 2004 for two weeks.

Thanks again.
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:45 PM

I've been to Greece only in June & August, but most likely you won't be able to swim. In Santorini you could go to Ancient Thira (the most amazing views are to be had from there). I highly recommend 2 books:

Independent Travellers Greek Island Hopping 2003: The Budget Travel Guide
Thomas Cook Publishing

and

Dorling Kindersley The Greek Islands

Ever sice my 1st trip I have been obsessed with Greece. I would go back every year if I could! My 2nd trip was to Athens, Corfu, and then we took a 24 hour cruise to Venice from Corfu and spent a few days. That would be romantic also... aaahh the possibilities.
Jun 26th, 2003, 07:58 PM
brotherleelove2003

I've been to the Greek Islands 4 times, two of them I arrived at the end of April and stayed for 6 months. Santorini is the most romantic honeymoon island in the Aegean, and you will be able to take advantage of low season rates in April. The village of Oia is the most beautiful settlement on the island. The water will still be cold, but not so cold that you can't take a quick dip in the sea. Kamari Beach is a good choice if you want to stay right on the beach. The island is small enough that you can easily get around by bus in a matter of a couple of hours from one end to the other. Akrotiri and Ancient Thira are the two archaeological sites there. Fira is the main village where the best shopping is found. Day trips to other islands are possible by local ferry. Hotel rooms are easy to get in April, you don't need a reservation if you'd rather wait until you get there to see what's available. Flying from Athens only takes about 45 minutes and is not very expensive. The express boat from Piraeus takes about 4 hours, the car ferries take about 9 hours.

Jun 27th, 2003, 09:45 AM

Minya,

My husband and I honeymooned in Greece last September/October. (We got married there, too, but that's another post.)

The best beaches were in Crete and Mykonos, but we had the best time in Santorini and Athens. (We spent 3 days in Athens, 6 days in Santorini, 6 days on Crete, and 1 day in Mykonos. We hadn't planned to go to Mykonos, but heard so many great things about it that we spent a day there instead of an extra day in Athens.)

In terms of Athens, 2 full days is probably plenty (possibly less if the National Archaeological Museum hasn't re-opened after renovations). We stayed in a great little hotel off of Syntagma Square. I think it was called the Athens Cypria, but I found it in last summer's NY Times article about Athens. It was clean, cheap (< $100 per night), and had a great location.

Santorini was wonderful. Its beaches were not as good as those on Mykonos or Crete, but it's an amazing place. We stayed at Astra Apartments, which was fabulous. I would recommend against staying on the beach in favor of staying somewhere with a view of the caldera. You can always get a taxi or rent a car to go to the beach, which is what we did. We found lots to do - winery tours, ancient Thira, Akrotiri ruins, etc.

I enjoyed Crete, but my husband liked Santorini better. We stayed in Rethymnon and took day trips in our rental car. The best beach on our whole trip was the beach at Elafonissi, which is on the southwest coast of Crete. Nothing else there, though.

Mykonos was very fun and the beach was fabulous. Lots of nudity there, though, if that's an issue.

We flew on Olympic Airways to travel between islands. We didn't take ferries because we didn't want to spend lots of time travelling. Olympic Airways is cheap ($45 per person for Athens-Santorini, I think) and it has a very useful website.

We planned our whole trip over the Internet, including hotels. The www.greekhotel.com website was invaluable.

Have fun!
Jun 29th, 2003, 12:09 PM

Looks like you've already received some advice on the islands - Santorini is a must-see. For mainland sights/towns, you might try a few nights in Nafplio. It's a small town located about 2 hours bus ride southwest of Athens on the Pelopennese penninsula. It has a few small beaches nearby but they're not the main reasons to go there. Nafplion makes a good home base for day trips to ancient ruins like Mycenae and Epidavros. Epidavros is the more impressive of the two. It's an easy hour bus ride to either sight from town. I don't believe there aren any boats to the islands from here so you'll need to go back to Athens or down through the Pelopennese and down to Crete to get to the islands. Unless you plan on going to Crete, I wouldn't recommend that route. Nafplion is very nice on it's own though, quiet yet convenient. Have a great time!