Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Greece (Athens, Mykonos, Santorini)

Jul 25th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

My husband and i are going to Greece for our honeymoon from Sept 20 to Oct 2, 2007. I am 27 and he is 32. We enjoy sightseeing, especially historical sights, trying new cuisines (we love food), learning about new cultures, and going out at night. We aren't very much of "let's relax in the beach all day" people. Our typical vacations consist of , getting up early in the morning, sightseeing all day, taking a nap for a couple of hours in the afternoon, then getting up and showering so we can stay out all night, and then having to do it all over again the next day!

Our itinerary is as follows: 2 nights in Athens, 3 nights in Mykonos, and 5 nights Santorini, 1 night in Athens only to fly back to the US in that order.

Questions:
1. Transportation: What is the best way to get from each location? Ferry, plane? Not sure what is fast, safe and easy.
2. Length of stay: Do you guys agree with our chosen length of stay? Should we swap or add crete in there? Will there be enough to do in Santorini?
3. Transportation around the islands: Not sure how folks get around in the islands. Would you guys recommend renting a car? Are there buses?
4. Attractions: I have read some of the older postings, but could you let me know what are some MUST(s) for each location? I know there are things on the internet, but if anyone has been there and has seen/experienced a place you think I may not read about let me know!
5. Other Advice: Any other useful advice you can give me would be great. For example, if things are only opened on certain days or time of season, etc…

Thanks in advance!
Jul 25th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Congratulations on your marriage.

We went to Athens and Mykonos about three years ago during the exact same time frame and loved avoiding what we've read about the massive crowds. Although some things on Mykonos were closed there were very few and the island had a very relaxed vibe to it.

We also did a couple days in Athens as well.

I can't comment on your time between islands as we didn't island hop but it seems right. For transportation to the island, we used ferries which were comfortable and easy. Going to we took the fast ferry and on the way back the more leisurely route. I would definitely go with the faster ferry if dollars permit.

While in Athens everything is fairly easy to walk to and if not the subway system is easily navigatable. There are also interesting displays in some subway stations of artifacts found while building the stations.

In Mykonos we had a car but a lot of people favored mopeds which were readily available. We were lucky enough to stay close to the center of town and only ventured outside for one day.

There was a restaurant we went to in Mykonos that we absolutely loved and perhaps another poster more familiar with it can provide the name.

It was in the city center. You walked into a bar area and then walked into an outside courtyard with a big tree in the middle. Of course everything was lit by candles and very romantic. I've been racking my brain and searching for it online - I'll try to find it again.
Jul 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM

We stayed on Santorini 4 days and it was too long. Take ferries between the islands. While on Mykonos you will want to visit Delos. If you enjoy history, consider the Pelponneasean peninsula staying in beautiful Napflion.
Jul 25th, 2007, 10:59 AM

I just stayed on Santorini 4 weeks and it wasn't long enough. Skip Mykonos and go to Crete instead, there's a lot more to see and do there.

Santorini has an excellent bus system, but rental cars are cheap and parking isn't a problem so late in the season.
Jul 25th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Hello mary513

Was it Restaurant Avra? This address might help:

http://www.avra-mykonos.com/

thanos
Jul 25th, 2007, 12:02 PM

My husband and I had our honeymoon in Greece in May. You can see some pictures on our blog:

seange.blogspot.com

I think you should add one more day in Athens, and take about 2 nights off of Mykonos, or skip it all together. That Island was one huge party, and I didn't really like it. It is beautiful, and I wish we could've gone to Delos, but that is the only reason I would go back to that Island. I agree with PP, add Crete.

Santorini is gorgeous. Make sure you take the tour to Nea Kamini and see the sunset in Oia (we didn't get to do this due to the weather).

Have fun!
Jul 25th, 2007, 12:02 PM

I apologise to jodeenyc. My reply was to you.

thanos
Jul 25th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Well, I was just in Greece for 3½ weeks, and it wasn't long enough either, so am going back in Sep for another 2 weeks.

I'm not sure 3 days would be enough to do justice to Crete, but given your interests, that would be about right for Mykonos. By the end of Sep the party scene on Mykonos should be over, and you will be able to enjoy strolling through its beautiful chora (main town). Delos is a must for anyone who enjoys historical sights. The site is closed on Mondays, so that would leave out Sep 24th.
Jul 25th, 2007, 12:20 PM

Regarding your question of how best to get to the islands, IMO for the leg between Athens and Santorini (or Crete), flying is most convenient. The FlyingCat 4 catamaran provides a direct link between Crete, Santorini, and Mykonos. Ferry times between Mykonos and Piraeus/Rafina are shorter, so flying is less an advantage, although still quicker. Aegean and Olympic airlines have flights to Crete, Santorini, and Mykonos.

For getting around the islands, there is no doubt that a car would be most convenient, but parking could sometimes be a problem. Mykonos and Santorini have good bus services, so a car isn't essential on those islands. There are plenty of taxis as well.
Jul 25th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Yes thanos i think that might be it!
Jul 26th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! StLgrrl nice blogg!! I think we might add crete in the mix of things...
Jul 27th, 2007, 07:34 AM

My husband and I went to Greece on our honeymoon last May. We spent the first two nights in Athens, then four nights in Mykonos and the last five in Santorini. FWIW - we were 28 and 31 at the time.

1. We flew from Athens to Mykonos and took a high speed hydrofoil from Mykonos to Santorini. I would do it this way again. Very seemless and didn't seem to waste a lot of time in transit.

2. If I had it to do over again, I would skip Mykonos and spend nine days in Santorini or add a different island. I really wasn't all that impressed with Mykonos. It doesn't even compare to the beauty of Santorini. You mentioned staying out all night so maybe you guys will love the nightlife in Mykonos. My husband and I aren't into clubs...especially when it's just the two of us. We enjoy relaxing with lots of wine : ) You will not get bored in Santorini - visit wineries, go to the black pebble beach, the black sand beach, the red sand beach, explore Oia and Thira, etc. Every part of the island has something different to offer.

We thought about going to Crete too, but everyone I talked to said that Crete is too big and there is too much to do to just visit for a couple days.

3. On Mykonos we rented a car for one day just so we could drive to all the different beaches. On Santorini we rented a car for four of our five days there. It was definitely worth it!! We wouldn't have been able to see nearly as much as we did if we relied on buses (if there even are any?).

4. See my answer to No. 2 re: Santorini must sees. In Mykonos, you can take a half-day trip to Delos from if you're into seeing ruins.

5. In Santorini, I highly recommend staying in Oia, rather than Thira. Thira is OVERRUN with people from cruise ships. It's so bad you can barely walk through the tiny little alleys - and we were there BEFORE the high tourist season.

Have fun!!!