Mainz Hilton Hotels

Old May 28th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mainz Hilton Hotels

I see there are two hotels in Mainz. Hilton Mainz City and Hilton Mainz Hotel. It looks like the Hilton Mainz Hotel is on the river and would be closer to old town, but is it still reasonably close to the train? Like most people we are going to be in Frankfurt just for an evening before we fly from FRA to the US the following afternoon (1:20pm) so I'm just looking for the best place to spend the last evening of our vacation.
Old May 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM

The Mainz City is nearer the main station - just a few blocks. The one on the river would involve quite a walk, but it is closer to the main shopping area and the Dom.

Mainz is a good choice for a final evening.
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM

do not miss the st. stephanīs cathedral/church. it holds marc chagallīs "blue on blue" stained glass windows.
absolutely gorgeous.
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM

We travel by rental car and stay in Heidelberg the night before we leave from Frankfurt. Easy drive to airport and nice town.

If you want real easy there is a Sheraton on the airport property but you would be stuck at the airport till your afternoon flight. The Sheraton is very nice and almost inside the terminal. Cannot get any more convenient.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

I'm not really looking for "convenient" as much as I'm looking for one last fantastic evening and morning before flying home. I'm using Hilton points so that's why I'm looking at the Hiltons. What are taxi fares like? Would it be reasonable to take a taxi from the train station to the further hotel? We are traveling with a lot of luggage, so the easier the trip between the two places the better!!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:30 PM
DAX

We've stayed at the Mainz Hilton by the Rhein and took a taxi back & forth to the station. I can't remember how much but it wasn't anything outrageous at all.

That said I also prefer Heidelberg over Mainz for a last bang before flying back. Mainz is fine but not as memorable/lively as Heidelberg.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 07:00 AM

For a real "bang" you might think about staying at the Hyatt on the water in Mainz. I have stayed at all three hotels, the two hiltons and the Hyatt and prefer the Hyatt to both of the Hiltons.

I prefer Mainz as a destination because it has a nice, underrated Altstadt and because it is not as touristy as Heidelberg. But everything is personal opinion.

In addition, Mainz is much more convenient to FRA than Heidlberg is. You can have a very leisurely breakfast, check out of your hotel by 10.00 and get to the airport by 10.45 with time to burn. A taxi will cost you about 75 to 80 euros, but there are also shuttle busses from the hotels and also the train connections from Mainz are super.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Bellacqui has the right idea. Skip the Hiltons and stay at the Hyatt. Get a room facing the Rhine river and watch boats and barges drift by. Hotel is located next to nice walking path along the river that connects to downtown pedestrian zone and cathedral. The Hyatt has easy access by S-bahn (less than 10 Euros) that goes directly to Frankfurt-Main airport. Ticket kiosks at S-bahn station have English instructions. Five minute walk with rolling luggage--super easy and convenient.

We've stayed at the Hilton in the old town area (maid walked in on me while I was napping after our flight even with do not disturb hanger on door, no CAT 5 cable to borrow for internet, and the hotel is full of noisy airline crews) If I remember, the Hilton was also located next to a biergarten, which may be a problem for rooms on that side.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 04:15 PM
DAX

I also like the Hyatt and have stayed there twice, definitely a much better hotel than the Hiltons. However, if you read lindsay beth's posting she indicated that she needs to use the Hilton points.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 10:50 PM

whoops---that's what I get for scanning the opening post only... thanks DAX