Frankfurt Hotel Before Leaving

Jan 10th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Frankfurt Hotel Before Leaving

We will be traveling to Germany and will be flying to and from Frankfurt. We want to spend the night in Frankfurt the night before our flight back home. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to stay (and maybe things to do) so that we can get to the airport in time for our flight.

Thanks
Jan 10th, 2004, 10:07 AM

I usually stay in Mainz before flying out - nice, smaller city with lots of pedestrian zones, shopping, and eateries. The economical Hotel Ibis is a short walk into the old town area and a block from the Mainz Sud train station, from where S-bahn and other trains leave every time you blink for Frankfurt airport (about 20 min, 3.5 euros.)
Jan 10th, 2004, 11:07 AM

That first reply sounds like a good one, from someone who has done it more than once. As another choice, we have stayed at a small family run hotel just a 5 minute cab ride from the terminal, called the Hotel Tanne. I believe they have a website. They will give you a wake up call and have a cab ready for you, for early flights. They will also let you leave your car there for a week or so if you are traveling out and back to Frankfort.
However, there is not much to see/do there in that small town just outside the airport.

Have also stayed at the Holiday Inn just east of the airport, near the soccer stadium. That road will take you pretty much right downtown Frankfort, for a stroll along the river. Not sure about getting to the terminal via public transportation, as we were just dropping off a rental car.
EK
Jan 10th, 2004, 11:12 AM

I've stayed at the Sheraton across the Frankfurt airport. It was an easy train ride in to downtown Frankfurt, where I went shopping and sightseeing. The next day, when it was time to leave, it was an extremely stress-free walk across the bridge to the airport. I guess it depends how hectic your departure days tend to be.
Jan 11th, 2004, 05:34 AM

I've stayed at the airport Sheraton too. It is wonderfully convenient to walk across to the airport in the morning.

The worst part was driving to the hotel to drop off luggage before turning in the rental car. All 3 times I stayed I must have lapped around that airport 4 times before I finally got all the turns right.
Jan 11th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's input. Those were excellent options for us to consider. It's always great to get knowledgeable information before going--saves money and time.