Magnificent 9 Days in Switzerland!

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:48 AM
tina

Magnificent 9 Days in Switzerland!

My family and I had the most incredible 9 days of our lives in Switzerland. We just returned from 4 days in Grindelwald and 4 days in Weggis (lake lucern)this past week. I'm so depressed about leaving that beautiful country I don't know what to do! I even feel like moving my family there. Am I being reasonable? Has anyone else felt this way after visiting this country?

BTW, thank you to all the wonderful fodorites who helped us plan this unforgettable trip!

Tina

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Ingo

tina,

I had the same feelings almost every time I visited Switzerland. And I thank god that I live in Germany, so it is not too far for me to go to Switzerland a couple of times every year.

Glad to hear you had such a wonderful trip. Would you tell us a little more about it?

Ingo

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Tina. I think I understand what you mean. Since I visited Switzerland with my wife in 1998 for two weeks, we have been back twice more with a fourth trip lined up for later this summer.
Our visit in 2000 fit your description.

Each time when I returned home from the Berner Oberland, I felt like some of me remained over there. Coming home had its depressing moments. After a while, I began to realize that where I live most of the year is my home base and, regardless of how enchanting that short period of time was, that culture is not home.

Although I can understand some German, I don't speak the language fluently, least of all in Switzerland where the dialect is hard to follow. Without a good knowledge of the language, I could never become part of the community where I was living nor could I blend into the local culture at all. After a while, that would start to bother me, and I would always have that foreigner status.

I think I have adopted a philosophy that yes, it was a grand visit. And I look forward to my next visit. That is why I am returning, again, this year.

When I get there, the surroundings will look familiar, and I will know where my favorite bakery is located. The train station will be where it was last time, and some of the same people will be running the same shops. To a large extent I will feel comfortable there, and I know I will enjoy my visit, again. I am looking forward to it, and mentally clicking off in my mind what I am going to purchase on my first trip to the bakery and the cheese shop.

We must look forward, not backwards, because only the future awaits. The past is done, even though good memories exist. Be glad you were there, and start dreaming of the next visit.

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:14 PM
sandy

I enjoyed reading your letters. I went to Switzerland (Lake Lucerne) when I was 11 years old and remember it still as the most beautiful place on earth. I am 45 now and was wondering if it had changed and if it would spoil the memory to go back. Maybe next year!

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:46 PM
en Suisse

I am (incredibly) fortunate to have a dear friend who lives an hour outside Geneva. American woman who married a French/Swiss man 15 years ago. Sure, I'm always depressed returning home. The Swiss are quite strict (about working papers and permanent immigration) and moving your family there (legality-wise) might take more (if it is even possible) than you realize. Besides that I think you're being & feeling perfectly reasonable ;-)

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 05:30 AM
jw

Hi Tina, When your friends at home tire of hearing you go on and on about Switzerland, just pop in at one of the two 'Support Group for those who love Switzerland' threads and spread your beloved memories over those of us who will be waiting to hear every single detail. You can talk about the food, the air, the friends you made, the early morning, the late evening, the sky, the architecture, the flowers, whatever.
I'll be happy as can be to have another person waxing poetic (where did I get that?) over that magical land. J.