COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help needed to identify two areas in southern France

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Carole

Hi, Came back from our trip and now trying to put pictures in an album and I would like to identify where two were taken. So much for good notes! We left Monaco, drove the A8 to LeMuy and then went south to St. Tropez and then drove back on the coast. Made quite a few stops so we're not sure where we took these pictures. The first one is an area on the coast road where there are a lot of mountains with a brownish-reddish rock. The second one is a town, not so clean, when you drive in, there is a row of stores and restaurants on the left and it looks like a dried-up waterway on the right with houses behind the waterway. The dried waterway is filled with white rocks. At the end of town there was a camp. We have no idea where these pictures were taken and I would be very happy if someone, who knows what I am talking about, would let me know. Thanks!

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Sue

The red rocks sound like the Esterel coast between Cannes and St. Raphael. The town, however, is a mystery.

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:52 AM
Carole

Hi Sue,
Thanks for the info on the Esterel coast. I had a funny feeling it was about there but not really sure. Now if I could just figure out this town........

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:03 AM
Louis

The red rocks sounds a lot like "Cap Roux" (literally reddish-brown cape) on the Corniche de L'Estérel.

I suspect that the town is Aguay. Camp Long is indeed just outside of this town.

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:10 PM
Carole`

Anybody else think they can identify the second town?? Would really appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 05:33 AM
Patrick

This may be a long shot, but as I recall driving into Cassis, you cross a sort of dried up riverbed place filled with white rock -- sort of like a flood overflow. And as I recall there was a camping facility at the far end near the water. Is that possibly it?