Search

Madrie- Toledo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2019, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrie- Toledo

Will be making a trip to Madrid in November. Only have 3 days there Although I've been there before, I have never been to Toledo. What is the best way to travel to Toledo ? It will only be a day trip during this visit. We can rent a car, but I'm concerned about parking. Should we join a tour from Madrid ? A tour would not be my favorite choice, but perhaps this would be best to get max coverage. Your ideas would be appreciated.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about my bad spelling. Obviously I mean Madrid Spain.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 02:10 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 02:12 PM

You can take a train from Madrid to Toledo. It's about a 30-minute train ride.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 02:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
You can take a train as KarenWoo notes or you can also take a bus. I believe they both take about the same amount of time. I think I read somewhere that the bus drops you closer to town but you should research that.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 02:39 PM

My second trip to Madrid was about ten years ago - I was on my own for a couple days and decided to visit Toledo. I'm not usually a "tour person," but I found a day tour - I think there was a brochure in my hotel, took the metro to the tour's start point, and then went by bus with a tour group. It worked out nicely - there were pleasant people on the tour, and the guide had a lot of good info. I don't know that I would have seen as much in a day trip had I just gone on my own, since I wouldn't have had time enough to figure out where the historical sites were.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 02:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Parking is not a problem in Toledo. The hill that the city is built on is essentially a giant, multi-story parking.
You can practically drive to the face of the hill, the elevators from the parking lot bring you right into old town (the top of the escalators)
We were there on May31st, big holiday in this part of Spain, and had no problem parking. It is cheap as well.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 04:47 PM

I prefer train to bus..
the bus took longer , the bus station in Toledo is closer to town but still far enough to take a taxi
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 06:02 PM
kja

Train or bus, whichever works best for you.
Too bad you can't give this magnificent city more time than a day trip allows.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 06:52 PM

Other posts in past have said the train could be full and to book tickets in advance - these high-speed trains require reservations which come with the ticket. You can't board if you don't have a reservation for that specific train. Book at Renfe - but sight seems to flummox many foreigners - www.seat61.com has didactic info on booking own tickets online and other sites that book those tickets too at about the same price
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. We will either take a train or do a tour. Some tours will pick you up at some hotels, with no extra charge. Kia is right that the town deserves more time. This trip will be about 4 weeks, beginning in Prague and ending in Madrid. My friends have already convinced me to stay in Toledo a couple of days on the next trip. Also Rhonda is on that agenda. BTW- Spain's high speed trains are a wonderful experience, not to be missed.
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 08:33 AM

I took the bus. It does take longer, about a half hour. It's cheaper, but at those prices people probably don't care bout that (train ticket is only about 15 euro, bus half or less of that). That half hour didn't matter to me, plus the bus station was closer to where I was anyway in Madrid, as well as closer in Toledo, just seemed easier to me. They have nice buses in Spain. The bus is at the Plaza Elliptica metro station.

I rarely take taxis, and I didn't take one from the bus staiton in Toledo, either, I took a local bus which goes right to the center.

the bus company is www.alsa.es