Notices

3 days in Madrid

Old Dec 18th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Madrid

I am going to spend three days in Madrid and am thinking about taking a day tour either to Toldeo or Salamanca. Would anybody kindly advise which is better in this case? I might stay there for a night too. Thanks a lot.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 04:09 AM

1. Madrid is a bore and not worth 3 days.

2. I presume you mean a day trip to Segovia, not Salamanca, which is too far. Toledo is a must see. Stay overnight.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 04:12 AM

Hola

Three days is not very long in Madrid, a beautiful and vibrant city. Salamanca and Toledo are lovely but I would be inclined to do Toledo, an easy day trip by bus or train from Madrid. That way you would still have time for Madrid.

Adios
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 06:10 AM

Three (3) days is not a lot of time for such an interesting city as Madrid. Anybody that have done their homework would know that..... Be that as it may, a day trip is a good idea and Toledo, Salamanca, Segovia, Avila, El Escorial, Alcala de Henares, those are preferred and common options. I have done day trips to both Toledo and Salamanca, and, if this is your first to both, I would recommend you do Toledo first. There are more options for public transportation as well and the travel time is less, allowing you to be back in Madrid with time to enjoy if you so choose. One thing I always recommend to first timers to Toledo on a day trip is to go on a guided tour. Toledo is NOT an easy city to navigate, it is NOT an easy city to go into museums and exhibits, it is NOT an easy city to walk around (hills, etc...). A guide would know where/how/when to take you. A guided tour will save you significant time by not having to wait in line, would know better access ways, focus on the main sights, and explain significant city layout features that typically escape the casual visitor. I would NOT go with the full day that includes lunch (terrible food). I would choose Julia Tours (or Pullmantour, etc...) Half day and return to Madrid on your own early evening. My recommendation is that you save Salamanca, Segovia, Avila and places north for a second trip. Spain is an absolutely amazing country for independent travel. Have lots of fun!!
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Wow! I'm spending one afternoon, night, and the following morning in Toledo and am so happy to have the tip about taking a tour. Thanks!