Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid hotel for family and a hotel near airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All done with hotels except that Madrid seems to be hard for me to decide! We're traveling in July. Any recommendations for a conveniently located hotel, moderate budget (probably need to get 2 rooms for our family of 5) but we want it in a nice location. Any suggestions?

Also, we need a hotel for our very last night somewhere near the airport? Has anyone stayed at the Best Western near there? Does it really have a free airport shuttle (tripadvisor is scarey, some people said it didn't)?

Thank you.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 12:35 PM

Check Hotel El Prado. I am staying there in July and got a rate of 66 euros per night for a double room. It's a solid 3 stars, very well situated near museums and Plaza Santa Ana. I stayed there last year.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 12:40 PM

My favourite hotel in Madrid is Room Mate Mario. Excellent location, price vs quality. Book well in advance as it gets full: http://www.room-matehotels.com/eng/m...mariohotel.php
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM

Which best western? I am unfamiliar with any AT/near the airport.

At/near the airport you have a couple Melia hotels. www.solmelia.com
I have also stayed at the Auditorium ( largest hotel in Europe I think but GREAT rates sometimes), free shuttle, although not terribly frequent.

Novotel is a nice family hotel, but not sure their shuttle is full time.

Stayed at High Tech.. did not like it. Not sure they have a shuttle.

Have also stayed at Clement Barajas, but their prices are sky high certain dates.
I have had my eye on a new hotel Axor Barajas. Shuttle. Very good prices.. they are promoting it strongly.
The Hilton (maybe 5 will fit there)

Remember, there is absolutely NOTHING out near most of these hotels From some you can walk to a local bar, from others not even that. . So keep that in mind, regarding dinner/late snack.

Many other hotels near the airport do NOT have a shuttle that is free,or ask you to take a taxi.

You will need to check various websites for best rates, plus the hotel website. An email can verify the shuttle issue. I always like to check www.gtahotels.com ( you can check "airport" once you get the general results), hotels.com and laterooms.com.

Unless you have an early early morning flight, you could stay in Madrid again. I have stayed at the ABBAMadrid, across from the bus depot where you can walk (1.5 blocks) and take the 1 euro bus out to the terminals.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 03:56 PM

I just looked up the b.w. near barajas. I had forgotten about that place. You can do much better than that. There are nice NEW hotels with competitive prices, I am sure.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 04:50 PM

How many nights in Madrid? Maybe you should rent an apartment instead...

I stayed at the Clement Barajas near the airport last week. I found the room a little noisy, also hot as heck, but it is a very nice property and certainly they'd have the a/c on in July. It was on booking.com for 60 euros - so check it out. The shuttle worked out great - but allow some time because it hits several stops on the way. You can walk to the subway in about 10 minutes and be in Madrid in a half hour, but there seemed to be some places to eat around the hotel, as well. (We went into Madrid.)

Also- know what terminal you are leaving from when you board ANY shuttle in the AM.