Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel recommendations near the Madrid International Airport.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an early flight out of Madrid (6:30AM) so I think we need to be near the airport. Any nice and quiet recommendations for about $100.00 per night.

Thanks,

Tam
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 05:00 PM

I have never really found a place that I like that is reasonable. However, the next trip I plan to check out Hotel Auditorium.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 03:58 AM

6:30AM for Madrid is not early morning; it's late night (considering that the tablaos Flamencos don't wrap up until about 4:30AM). I'd normally recommend the (3-star) Hotel Best Western Barajas (not the 5-star Hotel Barajas) but they don't start airport shuttle service until about 6:30AM. Last time I was there (Jul'02) an airport Hotel (at the airport) was under construction - I don't know what the name is or to what Hotel group it belongs. Alternatively, you might want to check out the Hotel Diana - close to the airport.

All you really need is taxi service. A taxi can make it out the Autopista Barajas from downtown very quickly in the early hours of the AM - even moreso from the Convention Center area.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 07:52 AM

TamT,
I agree with NED that all you may need at that very early hr. is a taxi driver with lead foot.
From my hotel in Madrid's Salamanca district , on the direct route to Barajas, the ride takes only 9 min. in early morning.

Like lweber, I've never found a *great*, inexp. airport hotel either, just functional, but here are your airport area options, in case you want to compare all rates (not many under $100, but doesn't hurt to check):

From the Sol Meliá group (solmelia.com):
Tryp Alameda (24 hr. free shuttle)
Tryp Barajas (ditto, but exp-has pool)
Tryp Diana (24 hr. free shuttle, pool)
Melià Avenida America

Best Western Villa de Barajas
(www.hotelvilladebarajas.com)

the Accor group (accor-hoteles.com):
Novotel Campo Naciones (free shuttle)
Sofitel (free shuttle but don't book rack rate!)

from NH (www.nh-hotels.com):
NH Express Barajas
NH Express Barajas II
(these 2 should be under $100)

The new Hotel Auditorium and Convention Center, to be the largest hotel-meeting center in all of Europe, is a work in progress, but quite a work! It does already have a highly praised restaurant with gourmet cuisine from 2 up and coming Basque chefs.
It's quite expensive at 200 euros but does have wkd. rates.
www.hotelauditorium.com

I left a message for you on the other thread about the files.

Hope this helps!

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:01 AM

Sorry,
The www.villadebarajas.com site isn't kept up to date. You may get a good deal with brk. included thru Best Western.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 01:34 PM

Agree that one should verify with nearby airport hotels as to availability of their van service at say 5:15 am, being that you have a 6:30am departure.
Have used the Hotel Diana which had reliable van service. Of course let front desk know ahead of time when you have to depart.
Cabs might not always be available near to some hotels at that early in the morning.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:59 AM

I stayed at the Sofitel Madrid airport for a couple of nights on business in June. It and the Novotel are actually in connected buildings (both Accor properties). I needed proximity to the airport and guaranteed parking (valet parking was 16 Euro/day), and that's what I got. Rack rate was absurd, got a decent price including breakfast through the Accor website. Was certainly a nice property and quiet, don't know how early the shuttle runs. It was fine for a business trip, but I don't know if it was really worth even the discounted price (was 115 euro/night). Good luck.