madrid - finding out what's on.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends - does anyone know a good website to check for info on what's on next week in Madrid? Alternatively - where does one look once there? Are there any publications (free or otherwise) with listings - like London's Time Out for example? I am particularly interested in dance - contemporary/ballet - also classical/Spanish music.
Muchas gracias.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 04:41 PM

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34371506

This thread lists several sources for finding entertainment listings. If it does not mention them, you might also check out madridman.com and multimadrid.com - both have fairly active message boards like this one with "nightlife" sections.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:08 PM

alice,
If you have some reading knowledge of Spanish, even just a bit, go straight to
www.guiadelocio.com. It's like the Pariscope and will tell you exactly what you need. Or www.elmundo.es/metropoli will also have listings. If you want an English source, then go to the paired down version of Guia del Ocio, www.spainalive.com.also Also you may find a bit at
www.softguides.com at the Madrid page, but it's better as a general resource for those planning a visit to Madrid.

You'll find classical music/dance at the Teatro Real
See www.teatro-real.com
and at the Teatro de la Zarzuela
See http://teatrodelazarzuela.mcu.es/

Or see http:://mcu.es for everything in the arts.
The Teatro Madrid also has contemporary dance, featuring companies like Nacho Duato's Compañía Nacional de Danza.
See www.teatromadrid.com

In early June, you should catch plenty of exciting things in the arts still going on, if you're lucky, you'll catch Sara Baras and her flamenco troupe performing the flamenco ballet, Mariana Pineda, (based on the García Lorca work) at the Teatro Calderón. It's been held over due to high popularity til June 22. She's terrific! www.sarabaras.com

Have fun in the city that never sleeps!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:25 PM

A hard copy of Guia del Ocio is available at the newsstands in Madrid and has info for the week. There is a section in the back that has info in English but it shouldn't be hard to figure out the Spanish sections if you know a few words.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:29 PM

Right Vita! And it comes out every Thurs. for the next week.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. But I guess this is for Maribel. Hello - yr reply just what I needed, and although spoken Spanish is WIP did manage Guiadelocio OK. Found a link there to teatro calderon with on line booking for Sara Baras. Do you mind another question? There's lots of availability but the terms for the different areas of the theatre are way out of my vocabulary range. No big deal. but if you were buying a seat which area would you go for? There doesn't seem to be much difference in price - all about 36 EUR.
Also - before posting here I had found the homesite of Nacho Duarte's company (taken me ages to find it again!). They are performing in Granada on 22 June. I would love to go. Can't see a way of booking on-line. Would there perhaps be somewhere in Madrid I could do this or do I just have to take a deep breath and try the telephone!!
I read your reply to another post re Barajas and RENFE tickets which was also really useful for me.
So thanks again.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 02:35 PM

I'd buy a butaca de patio (orchestra), as close to the front as you can get.

You can try buying tickets for Nacho Duato in Granada, performing at the International Music and Dance Festival here-
www.granadafestival.org.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Maribel: sad, sad - nacho duarte in Granada is sold out. But maybe I'll just pitch up and see if there are any returns. But thanks for the weblink on the festival - there's plenty of other stuff to check out if I draw a blank with the dance.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 11:04 PM

try www.multimadrid.com