Flamenco festival in Madrid on May 2007

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suma Flamenca is a festival held in Madrid since May 7 to May 26 with the best artists currently: Sara Baras (dancer), Diego el Cigala (singer), José Menese (singer) and others. More info at:
www.sumaflamenca.com/eng/index.asp
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Great Revulgo! Thanks!

I hope the other readers notice it. This is a great opportunity. Also I will point out that while most performances take place in a theater setting, some are in a Tablao (Chinitas or Moreria). In case some fodoroites worry about the quality of the tablao those nights will be supercharged.

It is good of you to point out that while the all the artists are very well known, some feature cantaores such as Diego El Cigala rather than dancers. Good info for those that are new to flamenco.
BTW IMHO Cigala is terrific.

Also the links included on the site are good too. ..I am also curious about the hotel deal it mentions but already have my plans set for May in Madrid.

Thanks again..ana maria
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:00 AM

Hi Again Revulgo:

For those of us that do not know some of the locations other than the Tablaos which I more or less know, can you help me with distance of the other venues? We will be there May 14 through 21st in Madrid Opera area.
May 15 Jose Menese @ Alcala de Henares...???Where is that?
Thanks Ana Maria
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Ana Maria,
I think you mean the concert of José Mercé in Alcalá de Henares, on the 18th.

Alcalá is a university town outside from Madrid (and quite interesting, too). You can get there by Cercanías (the C1, C2 and C7 lines), but the problem is the return. The last train leaves Alcalá at 23:26, and with the concert beginning at 21:30 ... it could be a bit "dangerous" ...

Bye, Cova
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Hi Cova:

Yes you are correct! I confused the two dates/names. I would see either one or both but we won't be there in time for Menese...or some of the others that I wanted to see. Too bad.
I will have to go for something in town then. I am not that crazy about the newer jazzy stuff .
Thanks for the tips we will look at the programes again.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Revulgo, last week I attended the inauguration of the 2007 Suma Flamenca season - maybe you were there too. It was mostly a kind of press conference but the before-conference (and after!) flamenco performance and the social hour afterwards was really impressive. Lots of well-known flamenco performers and insiders were there too.

My hope is that the 3-week festival next month isn't sold out from beginning to end. It really was a big deal last year (the first year of the festival) and I imagine it will be that much more this year. Can't wait. The Sara Baras shows will undoubtedly be sold out very very quickly.

Saludos, MadridMan/GranadaMan
--
Madrid, Barcelona, & MORE @ you-know-where