Madrid Airport Transfers

Search

Madrid Airport Transfers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid Airport Transfers

How much should two persons with one major piece of luggage each expect to pay for a taxi from Barajas Airport to Madrid city center? Is there a recommended cheaper efficient method of transfer?
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:55 AM

It may depend on traffic, but I would think 25-30 euros.
Metro and bus are much cheaper but you will have to transfer.
I have only taken a cab.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM

You can do 2 people to center city for 4 euros total (1 euro for ticket + 1 euro for supplement for each person). Metro is clean and efficient. Easy to bring luggage on. Takes 35-40 minutes from Barrajas. I have done with regular sized suitcase with no problem (i am in my late 50's).
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:02 AM

Metro is between terminals 2 and 3. about a 10 minute walk from terminal 2.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:21 AM

We paid 25 Euros for a taxi no traffic - it was past midnight).
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 02:46 AM

A Spanish-speaking friend recently came to Madrid (and she knows is well) in late morning (workday) and got a taxi in Barajas with luggage. She went to the Old downtown Madrid (near Huertas neighborhood) and it cost her nearly 35 Euros (including the airport-supplement added onto the existing meter price). I'd say this is about right.

If you're going to someplace along Gran Vía or on the periphery of the OLD OLD downtown, it may cost you less because it's faster to reach.

Alone and to experience it for myself, I'd once taken the metro (with luggage) to the downtown and paying very little - but swore I'd NEVER EVER DO IT AGAIN. It was SUCH a P-I-T-A ("pain in the...") lugging bags up and down stairs and wasn't worth the savings, sweat, and stress of navigating the metro system. When taking only one roller carry-on-bag I've done this trip by metro very comfortably, however.

You'd also find the AeroCITY airport shuttle van to be "cheaper than taxi" as well. They have a stand outside of the luggage claim in the common area of Terminal 1 (and 2?). I've taken them twice (but not in the last 6 years) and found them professional, pretty cheap, and good alternative - but you have to share the van with other travelers so you may or may not be the first drop-off.

Saludos, MadridMan @ you-know-where!
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 07:33 AM
yk

I took the Metro last year from my hotel (near Sol) to the Airport. I didn't mind it as it was the cheapest option and I travel very light (I can run up 2 flights of stairs carrying my suitcase if I have to). It took over 45 minutes and involved changing lines twice. So, it depends on where you destination is; but I wouldn't recommend the Metro if you have significant luggage and your destination involves changing lines.