Madrid transit questions

Old May 26th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid transit questions

Hello fellow Fodorites,

My train from Bilbao arrives in Madrid (Chamartin) on a Sunday night at 22:05, and I am staying on the Gran Via, near Puerto del Sol, 1k from Plaza Mayor. What do you feel is the best way to get from the train station to my hotel? Is there a Metro line that would work, or is a taxi a safer/faster/more convenient option?

Also, has anyone used a Madrid Tourist Transit Pass? They are listed on Expedia as costing $13.95 (CAD) for a 2-day pass, good in Zone A (central Madrid). Does this sound like a good deal? I love to walk, so if things like Mercado San Miguel, the Prado, and Reina Sofia can be reasonably reached on foot, then I might not need/want a pass.

Thanks for any and all insight,

goddessintl
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM

at night, in the city you are not familiar with, carrying luggage - I would take a taxi.
One can easily walk from Sol to the museums..
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:17 PM

I don't know about your destinations, but I just want to add that the Madrid subway was fabulous. It was so clean and well lit and so easy to understand. So if it goes where you need it to go, I wouldn't worry about using it.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:50 AM
car

Single tickets for bus or metro are 1€ per ride.
So your day-pass accounts for 8 rides in two days.
I would not really bother buying it.
Your hotel is well located for must attrations in the center.
When you arrive at Chamartin the metro will take you about 30 minutes to your hotel but a taxi , Sunday night , about 10 minutes. Any other time during the week, in busines hours the metro will match or beat the taxi. But not Sunday night.
You have train station surplus and Sunday fare. I am not able to say the cost but It will not be more than 20 €.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM

The Line 1 (light blue, opposed to dark blue Line 10) can get you to Gran Via in less than 30 minutes. If you don´t have a lot of luggage, the metro is a good idea. Also, Gran Via metro station doesn´t have elevators up to the street, as some of the new stations. If not, you will find easily taxis outside of the station and you could be there in 15 minutes more or less.

From your hotel, everything is walkable. I wouldn´t buy that pass, I would get a 10 trips carnet for 7,40 euros, just in case you want to get a metro or a bus. It can be shared between people.

Remember that if you want to get to the airport by metro you can use this carnet ( billete 10 viajes ) but you must get a 1 euro supplement.

Bye, Cova